Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Acctingman

New guy playing solo with a couple questions Empty New guy playing solo with a couple questions

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 pm
Good morning folks

Recently took the plunge and bought the main book AND Kursk.

I have a semi-regular group and we're playing Chain of Command. Great set of rules but I really do not care for platoon sized games and they aren't changing the rules anytime soon. Throw in the fact that we maybe meet once or twice a month.

I"m looking to play solo a couple times a month at home on those nights where my wife is out and to further scratch my war gaming itch.

I'm playing in 6mm

Do any of you guys have any suggestions, comments, advice on how to play this game solo? Are there any house rules or tweaks you came up with?

Thank you
Acctingman

New guy playing solo with a couple questions Empty Re: New guy playing solo with a couple questions

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 pm
So, 42 views and no comments?

Is that that no one knows or has opinions (because they don't play solo?) or is my question too silly to answer?

Not bitching, just curious because I'll have questions and if this forum isn't that active is there a better place to go for that (TMP is semi toxic and I try avoiding it)

Thanks
MarkG

New guy playing solo with a couple questions Empty Re: New guy playing solo with a couple questions

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:47 pm
Hi,
This forum is a bit more quiet than the FB page...so I think that's why no one answered. Regarding solo, maybe lots looked but no one playing solo did? At any rate, I at least know that someone on the FB page did develop some sort of shareware computer code to run on a PC that would keep track of blind chit draws for each side. I have Macs, so could not tell you how it works and such though. I would recommend, if nothing else, creating a dummy FB account to get on and see how it works. Lots of great shares of games and pictures there too.
Cheers,
Mark
Gunbird
Gunbird

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:25 pm
I've been doing this ever since Kursk came out, and every year I see the question pop up once or twice. I personally felt the chit pull and not knowing the enemy's BR is very important and solo play messes that up. Sofar the people who wanted to play solo either gave up or I never heard from them again. However, indeed the question was asked recently on the FB group and nowadays I think that if you can make a app or program to draw chits for the opponent the only issue would be knowing how much and what kind of ammo the opposition has.

But tbh if I want to play solo I play a computer game. Miniature wargaming is more of a social thing to me, it just takes some time to find the right people and to re educate them to enjoy a real game, not a 40K clone.
Acctingman

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 pm
Thank you both. I really do appreciate the time you took to comment. Many thanks!

Both of your responses have made me re-think my solo game of choice. It's looking like IABSM will play better solo than BG. I really like what I see for BG, but maybe it's mechanics do not allow for solo play. I'll for sure keep them around for when I find other people to play (or maybe I can introduce them to my Chain of Command group)
Nazrat
http://jer-toons.com

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm
There is an entire new post as of this morning from another fellow who describes how he plays it solo and how well it works for him. I'd suggest reading that.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum