Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line of Sight

+5
Alabastero
Nino Kano
Lormex
Piers
Craprolls
9 posters
Go down
Craprolls

Line of Sight Empty Line of Sight

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm
Hi everyone,

I have read through the rules and i am not 100% sure about what constitutes line of sight. The book states that roughly 25% of a target must be visible, which is great, but what blocks LoS? Some Youtube videos show players firing at vehicles and infantry behind multiple terrain items like hedges and fields. Also, how far into a wood must you be to have LoS blocked?

Thanks all!
Greg
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Line of Sight Empty Re: Line of Sight

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 pm
Whatever blocks line of sight in real life I guess...

It's kinda up to players to decide the exact limits/rules for their terrain collections.

We play that if you can see it, you can generally hit it. But will decide before a game what limits we will apply.

Woods block LOS at 5" in the rules.
Lormex
Lormex

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 pm
In order not to create a new topic.
What do you think:
1) Does the infantry block the line of sight?
2) Does the infantry provide obscuring while firing through them?
Nino Kano

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:45 pm
I agree with Piers with Los.

As with the 25%, take with a grain of salt. Had a game with a Stuart behind a destroyed building with only his gun mantle and top of turret . Was a big issue with nothing able to spot him because of the 25% rule.

We add that if a vehicle unit fires from cover then they can be shot at as per the standard rules. if infantry shoot they can only be pinned as per standard rules,
Alabastero

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 pm
Tonight we had the same problem as Lormex stated in his question: can infantry fire through friendly infantry?
Nino Kano

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Yes, don't look at them as soon as static models. the Infantry are moving, kneeling, going prone and ducking down.
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:45 pm
LOS rules are set by each play group. Settle on a criteria an play on.
We do have very detailed LOS rules to play within our group. The key is to mke them clear to all before playing.

We do let infantry fire over other infantry. As Nino said, Infantry is not static.
Paul Snelling

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 pm
Where in the rules is the 5” rule for woods, I had seeen this in the forum but couldn’t find it in the new hardback rulebook when I wanted to show my colleague at our club.
Piers
Piers

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:28 am
It's in the terrain selector for Kursk
Paul Snelling

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:46 pm
Unfortunately I don’t have the Kursk rule book, l have the latest version which does not have the terrain generator in it or any mention of that rule.
Thanks for the info though.
Nino Kano

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm
It doesn't have to be 5". We started doing just straight LOS and dropped the 5".
Piers
Piers

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:07 pm
Yep... it should be the players decision base on their yerrain collection. Not sure any of my woods are often 5" deep...
Stuart J
Stuart J

Sun May 05, 2019 1:17 am
Had a game with a Stuart behind a destroyed building with only his gun mantle and top of turret . Was a big issue with nothing able to spot him because of the 25% rule.

Hmm........I would have allowed that on historical grounds because after all, that is the very reason British units removed the turrets from their Stuart tanks scratch
Nino Kano

Sun May 05, 2019 3:21 pm
Just had another game where a pz 3 was nailing the crap out of my Americans until I finally killed it with an air strike. It was between 2 buildings firing down an ally. All I could see was a sliver of that tank.
With the 25% rule I could never take a shot at him.
The 25% rule should only apply to infantry, IMO. Tank crews would be on the look out for gun barrels poking out from barns and buildings. When spotted they would just shoot through the building. There are many cases where the tankers would just shoot at the enemy tanks barrel.
Piers
Piers

Sun May 05, 2019 3:37 pm
If it can see you... you can see it.

Simple.

Or find opponents that ain't such arses.
Nino Kano

Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm
That's what I am saying, if we followed the core rules of 25% then it couldn't be spotted. Which is way I said I agree with you Piers. But cause it just doesn't make sense with vehicles.
Piers
Piers

Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm
It's not so much a set rule... you can't take it all literal to the point of insanity with Battlegroup.

It's not those sort of rules.

25% is a rough guideline... but no rule is there to be exploited so if some one is using it to gain a gamey advantage don't use it. It's that simple. Smile
Nino Kano

Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 pm
Yup, I agree. I think it's best to try and make/set Terrain so it's pure Loss. If you can see it you can shoot it.
wolflord
wolflord

Sun May 26, 2019 11:01 pm
In our game we do not allow units to fire through other friendly units, unless it is static infantry or the firer (or the target) are on higher terrain. The risk of friendly fire is to high for real life units to act in such ways.

Regards
Wolflord
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum