Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MikeRC97

Number of units in a platoon sized game Empty Number of units in a platoon sized game

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 pm
Hello All,

Not really a rules question more of a general question - I’m wondering if there is a “sweet spot” so to speak for the number of units in a platoon sized game.  Given that the number of orders each turn in a platoon sized game is 2D6 the average number of orders in any given round will statistically be around 6-8.  Add 2-3 officers at the start of the game (before any officer casualties) and it will be around 8-10.

So with that in mind, has anyone found a “sweet spot” for the number of units in battlegroup in a platoon sized game to balance the average number of orders in any given round, factoring in the BR rating of the units, etc.

As I build 500 point lists I find the infantry division battlegroups tend to have a lot of units (around 18), most of which need orders each turn to do anything (other than some off table artillery that won’t be in action every turn).   I worry about putting too many points in units such as off table artillery which don’t contribute to the BR pool.

A German Panzer battlegroup tends to have fewer units (but comparable BR ratings to infantry) but a Soviet Tank Corps BG is closer to infantry in number of units (those T-34s add up).

So any thoughts?
OvS

Number of units in a platoon sized game Empty Re: Number of units in a platoon sized game

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:55 pm
I had thought some time. Short awnser: That variable hadn't any influence on my builds.

There are other factors that are important for me: antitank abilities, infantry killing abilities, cross movement, tactical movement and ammunition. And these could already limit the number of units i use (good AT -> expansive to buy).
Wellington
Wellington

Number of units in a platoon sized game Empty Re: Number of units in a platoon sized game

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:56 am
Never did such mathematics, but usually the BRs of my Brits are higher than the BR of my German oppionents, but the Orders are never enough. Spending as much orders as possible in ambush orders in early turns helps sometimes.
Stuart J
Stuart J

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:13 pm
Well a platoon is three or four squads in most armies so the clue is in the title; throw in a couple more plus some support and you have a reinforced platoon, but any more than that then you're getting to a company level engagement. My experience is it's better to game with an understrength company than an oversized platoon: that way you get a game that can be played out to a conclusion as opposed to getting bogged down for lack of orders.

I guess really it depends on how much time you have and whether you can leave a game set up to come back to on another night.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum