Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Tau1850

Transporting units Empty Transporting units

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:07 pm
I am a little confused about using the transports. From what I understand is that transports are not locked to the units. But there seems to be some vehicles that are a bit confusing, like the forward relay team and the radio truck/half-track?
If I had a mg team that needs to move could I use the radio truck ? Also, can units that do not have transports ride in other units if there is room? For eg, have a radio comms relay team ride in the radio truck with the forward relay team or the forward hq?
Does the transports for recon units also have the scout ability. ?
dead1

Transporting units Empty Re: Transporting units

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:25 pm
I think the transports are linked to their parent units but can carry spare troops if they have space (I could be wrong).

And then there is the spirit of the game -no way is a radio truck going to be carrying some front line troops (a radio truck is an extremely valuable piece of equipment - command and control elements are far more valuable than lately expendable infantry or tanks).  Of course I would think it is fine to transport a comms relay team if the vehicle has space.

I would say recce transports only have scout abilities if their unit is mounted on it (eg a dude spotting in a jeep with binoculars).  If the recce unit dismounts then the transport loses any recce ability).  A bit of common sense here - a truck or jeep or even Sd.Kfz 250 with a driver doesn't really have much in the way of reconnaissance ability.
Tau1850

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 pm
I was thinking it was more of a unit steal....ER borrowing it. 2 mmg teams with loader teams saying, screw this that take that truck over there. But as in game terms I think because it's a radio truck it unique as a transport.

So would it be ok to have let's say, an m3 half-track bought in a recon platoon, drop off the infantry and then run to a atg grab it and tow to another location?

For the recon I was thinking it it had a weapon system that means there had to be a driver and gunner. But I am guessing for ease of game it would be hard to keep track of. Plus what you said make sense.

I like to play very mobile armies and always try and maximize my transports if at all possible. Having them running back and forth moving units.
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm
How is the ATG gonna move it's ammo if a random vehicle tows it somewhere?

And no... a recce truck isn't a scout.
Gunbird
Gunbird

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:34 pm
When in doubt, wonder what they did, or how it looked in real life.

Generic transports you buy in your infantry list are just that, a truck with seating for troops. Stuff extra men or MG or mortar teams etc in it to the max. I have no issues if you want to use those trucks as battlefield taxis. The more they are on the table, the more often your enemy can shoot and kill them for that lovely counter, so by all means....

What I personally will not agree with to use as a taxi service for your troops that you did not buy tyransports for:
-A radio truck is stuffed with generators, batteries and radio equipment and the men who use it.
-A truck bought with an anti tank gun will contains room for the gun crew, ammunition, spare barrels etc
-A truck or track for a recon unit carries extra radio's and other spotting equipment.  As a recce platoon leader I'd be pretty pissed if my ride would be taken away to ferry some troops if he needs it for evacuating himself at the double if he needs to.

If you are making a list and you are "maximising" your trucks by having them run back and forth to ferry in troops I will kindly suggest to make a decent list and not find a workaround for your lack of points for transports. Trucks have never been meant to be used as battle taxis and are merely meant to drop off troops near the frontline, not in it.

Edit - Ah, Piers beat me to it -
Tau1850

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:13 pm
The list I play is the armoured infantry platoon from Overlord book. Normally we play 500 pts. I ask these questions because they come up in game play. First turn I had my 2 mg squads half track catch fire from a brake down chit. They where stuck in the back and had to hoof it to the objective. So my next turn I sent an unload m3 back to grab them and run them to the bridge/objective.
The second was moving my atg from one side of the map to cover a road. Having 7 m3half tracks was had to remember which belong to what unit. But I do know that after my recon platoon was dropped I ran that m3 to the atg and ran it to the other side.
My radio relay team (who doesn't get a transport jumped into the forward relay team radio truck(transport) and then moved to building.
From how I see it an m3 half-track is always an m3 half-track no matter what unit it starts with.
I would also much rather have someone shoot a beep, Jeep, truck, half track then shoot my tanks, infantry, or any other combat vehicle. Already played a game where the other guy focused on my transports. He lost the game. Every shot at an empty transport is one not at my combat units, so that's acceptable.
If it doesn't have a gun, have someone/thing inside or holding an objective, it's not worth shooting at.
NTM

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:31 pm
Would you really prefer them to shoot at transports? They blow up a lot easier than a tank and the battle chit counts exactly the same. Even more if the unit being transported comes a cropper too.
wolflord
wolflord

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 pm
Soldiers also had some of their belongings on board of their transports (especially true for armoured infantry) and wouldn't alllowed their transport to carry any other unit. Maybe another unit of their platoon if there is room, but otherwise no. The only exception would be, if the "old man", aka your FW HQ, would need a ride. You just do not say no to your commanding officer. Twisted Evil

Another exception would be list, that contain a transport coloumn. Those trucks are from a transportation unit and are called forward as a means to transport any of your troops.

Greetings
Wolflord
Tau1850

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 pm
But as I asked before we digressed, is it anywhere in the rules that says transports are locked to the units they are assigned to?
Warwick
Warwick

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:25 pm
I think it would be difficult to set a hard and fast rule, as there aren't any in real life. ATG should have their own transport and would not be pulled by any old available vehicle, because the tow is also the ammo and crew carrier. But if an opponent is happy to allow it, because obviously it could be done... at need I;m sure transport with room would give lifts to others. There are too many possible combinations and situations to have a single rule that covers it all. I'd have no problem with a half track whizzing back to pick up another unit... using trucks for any of it seems like a big risk though... usually they just drop off and leave.

Hauptmann Füßli
Hauptmann Füßli

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 pm
What happens to horse transports from cavalry teams?
Should they really be treated like any other transport team, if the cavalry dismounts or needs to start the game dismounted?
(I doubt, if they could effectively move on a battlefield without their dedicated riders)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum