Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Statistiker

Infantry Requirement Table Empty Infantry Requirement Table

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:33 am
Hello all of you!

I have some questions regarding the minimum and maximum restrictions.
I know, we can houserule everything, but before we do that, I would like to understand the original rules.
Please help me out here, as our gaming Group wasn't 100% sure what's correct.

1. The term "Infantry"
I guess, the restrictions only apply to the Infantry Units section. Am I right?
So, buying for example a Sniper, Infantry Patrol or Combat Engineer Section wouldn't count against either the allowed maximum nor minimum.

2. Individually bought squads
Let's say I want to build a 350P army of allied forces.
The table says:
Min 1 squad
Max 1 platoon

How do I count in the diverse allied Rifle Sections / Carrier Sections / Cavalry?

I found the following post:
Piers wrote:Three additional infantry squads counts as an infantry platoon for requirements.

Same with Soviet tank rider squads.

Do I read this correctly?
In a 350P game of Barbarossa Soviet Infantry Division, I may field a single Rifle Platoon (58 points) and no additional Cavalry Squad or Rifle Section, the rest has to be spent for Platoon Support, tanks, HQ,... .
Or I may field 1-3 individual Squads, no more.

Thank you in advance for clarification!
NTM

Infantry Requirement Table Empty Re: Infantry Requirement Table

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:00 am
That's how I read it too.
Gunbird
Gunbird

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 am
1. The term "Infantry"
I guess, the restrictions only apply to the Infantry Units section. Am I right?
So, buying for example a Sniper, Infantry Patrol or Combat Engineer Section wouldn't count against either the allowed maximum nor minimum.

Squad level game = min 1 infantry squad, and max 1 infantry platoon.

A sniper is a Platoon support option so no issue as it does not count vs the limit.
An Infantry patrol is Recce so does not count vs the Infantry limit.
Combat engineer Section (using the US list) are listed as Engineers....so again, don't count vs the limit.

I'm not sure why your group thinks there is an issue. The rule clearly says Infantry Units....so the stuff listed under Infantry. The rest of the list has nothing to do with that.

I found the following post:

Piers wrote:
   Three additional infantry squads counts as an infantry platoon for requirements.

Same with Soviet tank rider squads.

Do I read this correctly?
In a 350P game of Barbarossa Soviet Infantry Division, I may field a single Rifle Platoon (58 points) and no additional Cavalry Squad or Rifle Section, the rest has to be spent for Platoon Support, tanks, HQ,... .
Or I may field 1-3 individual Squads, no more.

Again....Squad level game = min 1 infantry squad, and max 1 infantry platoon. 3 individual Infantry squads counts as 1 Platoon of infantry.

1 Platoon can take Support Options. 3 Squads counts as a Platoon so they too can take Support options. Choosing Infantry only gives you acces to Infantry Support options, you can always chose HQ, Tanks etc, up to your points limit.
Statistiker

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:11 pm
Thank you both very much for your answers.

Another question to that topic just came up in my group:
The Soviet Rifle Company from Barbarossa consists of 3 Platoons + a Company command squad.
How is this company ruled regarding the maximum?

a.) Can I field it in a Squad or Platoon Game Size?
b.) Does it count as 3 Platoons, so in a Company sized game I may field a 4th Platoon?
c.) Does it count as 3 Platoons + 1 Squad, so in a Company sized game I may field only 2 more individual squads?

Thank you very much in advance.
Greetings
Statistiker
Gunbird
Gunbird

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:31 pm
I don't even understand how this is an issue for your group after my previous post, it is just a simple bit of math, but here goes.

a.) Can I field it in a Squad or Platoon Game Size?

You are looking at page 115 of the book. On page 114 it says:

Squad level game - Minimum of 1 Squad, Maximum of 2 Platoons - so the very obvious answer is No
Platoon level game - Minimum of 1 Infantry Platoon, Maximum of 4 Infantry Platoons - The Rifle Company is 3 Platoons plus 1 Command Squad, so yes, you can field this.

b.) Does it count as 3 Platoons, so in a Company sized game I may field a 4th Platoon?
c.) Does it count as 3 Platoons + 1 Squad, so in a Company sized game I may field only 2 more individual squads?

It counts as 3 Platoons AND a Command Squad. But personally I would not stop you from fielding a 4th Platoon.
Statistiker

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am
Okay, I thought the ruling would be this way, we just wanted to make sure.
The math was clear, some of us just hoped for a special ruling on this one.
(Playing a 750 P Soviet Infantry Force and being allowed to invest only 116 P in standard riflemen didn't have the right felling.)

Thank you again for clarifying the rules for us!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum