Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Stuart J
Stuart J

Registered target points - a classic example Empty Registered target points - a classic example

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 pm
Perhaps one of the most useful tools for a Battlegroup commander, in real life these were plotted hours, days or sometimes even weeks ahead of an attack or as part of the defensive Fire Plan with the guns an/or mortars ranging in on likely avenues of approach, assembly areas and hostile weapon positions. But not always! The British were masters of the 'quick fire plan' in support of mobile operations and the following is a classic example of a American defensive fire plan done 'on the hurry up'.

Holland, September 25th 1944 a US Artillery captain visits his FOO and finds the infantry platoon there leaderless and about to be over run so he needs to take action and fast!

"It was obvious.... that infantry couldn’t hold alone. Had it not been for the artillery barrage, the position might have been overrun during that first attack, and there were bound to be more. Of course, accuracy and speed of response would be key. First he dispatched Fellman’s radio operator and another man to repair the break in the telephone line. With Fellman filling in, Manning next had himself put in direct communication with the 319th’s batteries. Looking back, Sartain explained why, saying, “Once all the noise and everything else cleared, Manning systematically picked out and zeroed in on various concentration points. He had concentration points throughout the area. All he’d have to do is call Concentration Two, or Concentration Four, Concentration Eleven."

“The grass was between knee and waist high,” said Sartain. “They would drop down and you couldn’t see them. Sometimes we’d see a German head pop up in the grass and the whole outfit would start firing. Or then they’d give an order and jump up and all come at us. When they were close enough, then our infantry with their rifles could take care of them.”

“Manning had already established the coordinates with single gun registrations, so then the battery would just shoot on them and the battery really came through. When the infantry people took off or were eliminated, those tanks would turn around and leave because they had no protection. No, I don’t think the tanks were knocked out, but once they stripped the infantry support from around the tanks, then they took off and left.”

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/the-guns-of-finger-ridge-airborne-artillery-on-the-defense-in-market-garden/

Nino Kano

Registered target points - a classic example Empty Re: Registered target points - a classic example

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 am
PRTP are a fantastic asset to have in BG. I use it in just about every game. Learning early on that at 15 pts it can control a 20" radius on the table. Placing it on a path I know the other player will take or on an area I want to deny the opposing player.

I soon learned a useful tactic on how to combine my artillery. Using fire support option of 2nd Target priority and just making a single roll to see if it's available. Not having to make a comms check so I get to freely choose what section artillery I needed. I would call in my 81mm mortar carriers to soften the targets, destroy transports and pin Armor. Then hit again with off board 4.2" mortars. Finally finishing up with the 2nd priority Target strike and selecting the best option to finish.

This was devastating to my opponents moral. It caused many heated discussion. But after a while my friends started seeing it's usefulness. One Learned to bring 2 105 nebelwevfers doing alternate fire and caused a massive loss for me.

I know many over look this asset. I will say to anyone that loves artillery that it is a must have.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum