Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fitz
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

Command distance? Empty Command distance?

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:50 pm
I haven't been able* to find any reference to whether or not sub-units are required to remain within a certain distance to their parent to be given orders and what-not.

The reason it came up is because in a recent game, my opponent (playing Germans) brought on his MG34 groups as reinforcements right down the other end of the table from the rifle groups they were, theoretically, the supports for — in game terms, maybe a couple of kilometres away. That seemed a bit odd and "gamey" to me, but I don't know of any rule specifically forbidding it.

Is there such a rule? And if so, where?

Note: "haven't been able to find" certainly doesn't necessarily mean "does not exist"; my rules-reading skills can be pretty woeful at times.
Nino Kano

Command distance? Empty Re: Command distance?

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:23 am
It's one inch
Carlson793

Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:40 am
The only "rule" for distances and units within an army are that models from any single squad/team should remain within one inch of each other (current rulebook, p10, "Notes on Infantry Basing"; and p18, "Infantry Movement").

The notion that sections/squads/teams from the same platoon should remain within a certain distance of each other is, I believe, from another WWII war game (something like Fires of War or Embers of Battle...I dunno). Within Battlegroup, however, such is not the case.
Nino Kano

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:59 am
That's what I said. 1"....
ColonelBob

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 am
The miniatures of one unit must be 1" apart. But a german rifle squad and it's MG team, for example, can be a long distance from each other, even if it's not historical gaming.
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 pm
By the rules you don´t need to keep any distance between the rifle group and the MG team. Or the individual tanks of a tank platoon.
Wingfield-Haze

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:48 am
I find this causes confusion with many newcomers. I like the way its arranged. Because there is no command distance you have to organize your units to work together. Its more of a sandbox approach. I would be quite pleased your opponent did not support his squad with his MG team- the regular combo being pin with the MG team, aimed fire with the squad or assault.
Nino Kano

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:29 pm
Shoot, I thought Fitz was talking about a 5 man squad's mg upgrade was running around without the squad. That would be a no no.
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:53 pm
Well it's up to players where they put units.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum