Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Bob D

Question on Minefields Empty Question on Minefields

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 am
My friend and I have been discussing Minefield placement prior to our starting the campaign in the main rule book. In the first scenario, the British have two minefields in thier list. In the main rulebook it says to place a marker to represent the minefield. Our question is, is this placed during set-up or do you plot its location on a scratch map as you would pre-registered Artillery points. We kind of like the latter idea because the enemy wouldn't know where any minefields were until they were in it already. Anyway, any clarification and/or thoughts on this will be much appreciated. Thanks!
OscarVictor
OscarVictor

Question on Minefields Empty Re: Question on Minefields

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 am
we usually draw a sketch map of the battlefield and keep it secret until the ennemy runs in it...

when that happens, you just show him the map if he starts screaming...
Gunbird
Gunbird

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 am
Yup, I draw them on a map (or several maps if I have more minefields). Once detected, I place a a marker with a Mines! sign on it and we carry on.
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Or house rule:
If you have been outscouted, then place the minefields on the board at setup time.
If you have not, keep them hidden in a map.

Regards,

Diego
rovens

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:45 pm
Weren't most minefields marked? So they acted as a deterrent to movement rather than a surprise trap.
Fitz
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:05 pm
rovens wrote:Weren't most minefields marked? So they acted as a deterrent to movement rather than a surprise trap.

Minefields used as part of static defenses were most usually marked, as you say, to funnel the attacking enemy into predetermined killing zones. However, minefields laid to cover a withdrawal or retreat were usually unmarked, since their function was to act as large-scale booby-traps to hamper and deter movement.
JayM

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 am
Minefields are surprisingly hard to hide. Deliberate defensive minefields would usually be marked, but a hasty minefield laid to cover a withdawal probably wouldn't be, as Fitz mentioned, however, such minefields are hard to hide due to the time it takes to camouflage them. In fact, such minefields would often be laid on the surface, with a few anti-lift booby traps to focus the minds of the pursuers. They are a delaying tactic.

In general minefields should not be hidden, though it may be worthwhile to use a mechanism to prevent an opponent from knowing the extent of the field.

Principles of defensive minefields: the defender must always have the field under observation, and if possible under fire. It's intended to direct, channel and delay the enemy.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum