Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Atkins

L to L Campaign, bypassing defenders Empty L to L Campaign, bypassing defenders

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am
Hi

We are practising a few moves of the Kasserine campaign using Vassal before starting again properly, again using Vassal but having table top battles.

Not quite sure how to play this. A force attacks a location, the defender reinforces and now outnumbers the attacker. It seems unrealistic to allow the attacker to withdraw "forwards" but the rules apparently allow this or have I missed something.

In fact the DAK are attacking Hatab River from Bordj Chambi. The defenders are reinforced from Cherchara River, now outnumbering the attackers. Can the attackers withdraw to Highway 13? I think not. Can the reinforcements withdraw to Highway 13, I think so.

Thanks in advance

Atkins
Warwick
Warwick

L to L Campaign, bypassing defenders Empty Re: L to L Campaign, bypassing defenders

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 pm
You have it right... a bit of common-applied helps, although by reinforcing and allowing the DAK a chance to withdraw, it could be argued that it just allows the DAK to exploit a US mistake (thus bypassing the US forces), especially if there is no force in Hatab river. If you don't reinforce, you force a battle on even terms, as no withdrawals would be allowed by either side. It does say though, in movement, a force cannot move 'through' a space with enemy counters in it without fighting a battle, so I think that should apply first. DAK must either stand and fight, or pullback to Bordj Chambi. The reinforcements could not withdraw however, as to withdraw you must be outnumbered, an even force (or larger) must fight. If the reinforcements still wouldn't make the sides even, then they till won't withdraw, as the original fprce would withdraw, the enemy move in and then the reinforcements would have nothing to reinforce so would stay put. Hope that makes some sense, sort-of. :-)
Atkins

L to L Campaign, bypassing defenders Empty Re: L to L Campaign, bypassing defenders

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 pm
Thanks Warwick

So the reinforcements at Cherchara would get orders to reinforce Hatab, but then as there was no battle their orders to move would be cancelled.

Atkins
Wingfield-Haze

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm
Oh come on. Why not let us through? We did pay a price. We lost good men screening our feint. A battle was fought. Its only two Tokens and in the true spirit of the desert war we've created a little cat and mouse. Thought things might turn into a bit of a grinding machine otherwise. We didn't withdraw forwards. We slipped sideways. Because we are slippy Fox's.
Warwick
Warwick

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:46 pm
So the reinforcements at Cherchara would get orders to reinforce Hatab, but then as there was no battle their orders to move would be cancelled. wrote:

Err, if I understand right, the reinforcements would move to to Hatab, thus forcing the DAK to withdraw back, and then remain at Hatab. They still move, even if no battle, otherwise we end up with a chicken and egg situation, as it was their move that caused the withdrawal, but then move didn't happen, so the withdrawl won't happened, and round it goes... no, the reinforcements move.

Unless, it was the US that withdrew, in which case the reinforcements can;t move, because there is no US force to reinforce, with the DAK now in that location. I hope this is clear... it doesn't read as such!
Atkins

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 pm
Hi

Yes it seems logical.

Thanks, Atkins
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum