Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Marc the plastics fan

Fields and LoS  Empty Fields and LoS

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 pm
I wondered how people generally play fields in BGK. I know Piers has often said LoS is for eth payers to decide based on their own terrain, and what can be seen, but I wondered if there was a consensus on fields.

This Saturday, I played them as obstructing LoS, and infantry gained cover (I did not give tanks a cover save for fields).

But this ties in with my thoughts on FOO and wondered whether I am restricting fields of fire too much by making fields count as blocking LoS. Should I allow stuff to see/fire over them, and give cover saves/obscured target etc?

Looking at photos from the period, I often see the tanks standing way above teh short crops, whereas infantry clearly could hunker down.

So any views please gentlemen? Thanks. Much appreciated
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Fields and LoS  Empty Re: Fields and LoS

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:53 pm
Hi Marc:

As you said, every gamer design his own LOS rules accoring to the available terrain features.
Regarding fields, we play like this: (for grown up fields)

- Light cover for infantry & deployed guns. Also obscured.
- No cover for vehicles
- Obscured LOS if vehicles are firing at each other with a field in between.

Regards,

Diego

pzivh43
pzivh43

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:26 am
Hi Marc,

Depends on the type of crops in the field, and time of year. For example, my reading of the Kursk battle leads me to believe that many fields were high crops (corn or mostly wheat). So I count fields as Obstructing LOS and soft cover for infantry. No effect to vehicles. OTOH, when I played an April 45 battle in eastern Germany, fields counted as nothing for LOS or cover.

Mike P
nickdives

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:49 am
I think the rules have it correct using both common sense and the spotting dice.
Marc the plastics fan

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:46 pm
So up to me. Ok
Sponsored content