Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Tau1850

Looking for info on us armored Infantry Division. Empty Looking for info on us armored Infantry Division.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:57 am
Hey guys, I am looking to make my armored Infantry Division some what historical. So I am trying to find decals for different divisions. Where would be a good place to start.
Greebs
Greebs

Looking for info on us armored Infantry Division. Empty Re: Looking for info on us armored Infantry Division.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:11 pm
The US had Infantry Divisions, and Armoured Divisions. The Infantry Battalions within the Armoured Divisions were referred to as Armoured Infantry, these were sometimes (or in some cases) referred to as 'Armoured Infantry Regiments', on account of there being three of them. So your first problem is that there's no such thing as an Armoured Infantry Division.

Your next problem is, the only common marking system the U.S used that designated vehicles as part of a formation were bumper codes, and ain't nobody going to make enough of those to mark up a wargaming force correctly, even if you could wrap your head around the system far enough to want to do it.

The good news therefore is, that as long as your big white stars are in roughly the right place, it's hard not to make your unit look 'somewhat historical'.

http://jeepdraw.com/images/AR-850-5.pdf
Here's more than you ever wanted to know about marking U.S vehicles (Including diagrams for basically every vehicle if you go down far enough).
Tau1850

Looking for info on us armored Infantry Division. Empty Re: Looking for info on us armored Infantry Division.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm
Thanks for the info. That PDF will be a great help. I have been looking at pictures of vehicles and markings. It seems that not everyone got the memo on where marking should be. Seems, like you stated, get it close enough. I have several Old Glory trucks and Jeep's and we'll they suck. So badly molded that I can't get the decals in the correct spots.
wolflord
wolflord

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm
Some more details:

2nd and 3rd Armored Division used large "Speed Numbers" in yellow on their turret sides (and hull sides of other vehicles like Stuart tanks, halftracks and armored cars). Stars where painted over, except those on the top. For Operation Cobra stripes in black where painted over the tanks. Both Divisions also received the first 76mm tanks in the ETO. After Operation Cobra the speed numbers where no longer used, but the black stripes remained. Sandbags where seldom used, but after February 1945 additional armor plates where sometimes added to the hull front.

4th and 5th AD where marked liked Greebs wrotes. The only exception was the 8th Tank Bn of 4th AD. This Bn applied mud camouflage on their tanks. In addition they added branches, like the German did with their tanks. Both Divisions only received 76mm Shermans after the battles in Lorraine. In 1945 4th AD made extensive use of additional armor plates, but did not use sandbags (like all Divisons under Patton).

6th AD is a special case. All 3 Tk BN used numbers on their hull sides. In addition each Bn had a unique emblem, either a star, a white triangle, or a white square. This system was retained during the whole war.

7th AD had no special markings as far as i know.

9th Ad had their first action during the Battle of the Bulge. They where unique that the had only 76mm Shermans at first. Replacments after the Bulge also included 75mm Shermans.

10th AD also had their fist action during the Battle of the Bulge. As far as i know the had no special markings.

11th AD is a late comer. The used a three digit system on their hull sides.

12th AD is another late comer. As far as i know they where pretty standard with their markings.

14th AD made extensive use of sandbags. They where not only added to the front, but special racks where built and sandbags where added to the hull and turret sides.

For pictures try googling the AD number and Sherman (14th AD Sherman for example).

Greetings
Wolflord

Tau1850

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 am
Wow awesome thanks for the info. I am not, like the majority on here, that want even thing to be historically accurate. With that said, I enjoy doing after battle reports with pictures. I really don't want a bunch of comments about how this marking is in the wrong location or those marking are the wrong division.

Many of the vehicles I have are prebuilt gifts from another person. Some, I just found out, have British markings.

With the information you gave me will help with adding flare to my tanks.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum