Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
HDNaio92

Biggest Army point value? Empty Biggest Army point value?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:51 pm
Hey folks!

I've been playing around with some list building, aiming to recreate a US infantry battalion, its supports and a German understrength, entrenched battalion with its supports. What sort of points value would a battalion size force be? and what's the maximum playable point value?
Greebs
Greebs

Biggest Army point value? Empty Re: Biggest Army point value?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:20 pm
Take an Infantry Platoon.

Multiply that by nine.

Find the makeup of the Company support assets, tot the points of that up.

Multiply it by three.

Find the makeup of the Battalion support assets, and point those up.

I'd be surprised if you had change from 1500 points or so.

The 'maximum playable points value' is entirely dependent on what you deem as 'playable'.
Wingfield-Haze

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:42 am
The one thing I learnt from playing a big game, 2500 roughly on each side, is that you need a big playing space with a least half the battlefield area left open. Some areas can be terrain overloaded e.g. a village or the dense zones of fields and woods but its good to have end to end LOS in a few places. Also, orders need to be high in order to move that many units. Throwing an extra orders dice in may be a consideration. Lots of objectives to keep those chits flowing and look for units that force chit pulling, timed airstrikes, flamethrowers. Division of labour helps too. Just some ideas I've learnt not meaning to be over prescriptive.
HDNaio92

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm
Thanks for the insight! both really helpful comments folks. I've been messing around with an army builder to Get my battalion composition as close to historically accurate as possible, so I was breaching the 1500 point mark by quite some margin!

I was definitely thinking of adding an extra command die, or just giving each side a command value and forgoing the dice roll all together. Between how many people would you split a 2500pt force? 2?
Wingfield-Haze

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 pm
Two on each side would be alright, usually kind of organically you control from the centre to a flank each with some intervening support as and when. Two working together on a divided board helps with prioritizing orders and reminds the other not to forget things or get carried away with doing the fancy stuff when a bit of interlinked combined moves is really the thing to do.
dead1

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 am
You definitely want a huge board. Bear in mind that 8 x 6 is recommended for most 20mm games bigger than a squad.
HDNaio92

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:21 am
The board im building is gonna be 10x12, maybe bigger if I can swing it!
Wingfield-Haze

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 am
That's a good size. I have written a three battles on one board scenario that drip feeds forces of 1500 points. If you would like me to send it you just e-mail me. It is overlord based but could easily be adapted and is just an example of what can be done. It was played at our convention each stage offering rewards to the victor. It started with a battle involving only the recce forces.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum