Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dirkbracke

AT capability infantry in Kursk scenarios Empty AT capability infantry in Kursk scenarios

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am
Hi all,

At present we are playing the Kursk scenario's with infantry which is rather powerless against tanks. As anti-tank grenades are an option in the army lists we do not give them to the infantry. Is this correct??

Cheers

Dirk
Ilkahn

AT capability infantry in Kursk scenarios Empty Re: AT capability infantry in Kursk scenarios

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm
I don't fully understand your question. However, i think i understand your intended question.

Infantry units do not come equipped with AT Grenades.

You UPGRADE your unit with AT Grenades for a point cost.

You CHOOSE whether you wish to take AT Grenades or not.

For Example (consult manual for actual costs)

Squad = 50 pts
Squad + AT Grenades = 50 + 5 = 55 pts

Platoon (3 squads) = 200 pts
Platoon (3 squads) + AT Grenades = 200 + ( 3 sq x 5 pts = 15 pts ) = 215 pts
Greebs
Greebs

AT capability infantry in Kursk scenarios Empty Re: AT capability infantry in Kursk scenarios

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 pm
I kind of assume what he's asking is in the fixed army lists used for scenarios, do the infantry get AT grenades or not, because it is an optional upgrade.

To which I'd say probably not if it's not in the list... there are lots of scenarios across the series where the German infantry are surprisingly short of optional kit the main lists allow them to take, but also one scenario where they have a full complement of Panzerfausts, despite their opponents having no armoured vehicles to shoot them at... so I guess we just have to trust Piers and Warwick knew what they were doing when they drew up the force rosters and didn't miss anything out - or play them for yourself and decide if you feel they need the grenades for next time.
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:28 pm
Yer... if it's historical scenarios... add them and see what happens.
wolflord
wolflord

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm
Normally, if infantry is equipped with optional weapons like AT-Grenades or Panzerfaust, this is listed in the scenario forces. So no AT-Grenades for the Infantry in Kursk. If you think, that the Infantry should have some, just add them, but for both sides. Should not change the game too much.

Greetings
Wolflord
dirkbracke

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm
We were playing the second scenario of the Kursk book (West of Oktiabrski state farm). In these no infantry has any AT capability. A side effect of this is that both sides ignore the infantry, batter each other until only one side has functioning armour which then proceeds to mow down the remaining enemy infantry (thus forcing extra counters) with machine guns. Although this mowing down may take a lot of time (seeing, hitting and failing the cover save may take some shooting) the end result is unavoidable.

Have any of you played this scenario and how did you solve this apparent paradox??

cheers

Dirk
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 pm
Pin tanks with arty or small arms... o assault the tank? 

Or don't move out and get into a tank scrap. Hold back and use combined arms to blunt the Soviet attack.
dirkbracke

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 pm
I think we tried it but it didn't really work. Arty is a good point but the infantry can't do anything beyond 10" and charging in the open is a bit risky (in my opinion anyways).

The first 2 turns the Soviets will annihilate the PAK's. And then they are ready for the piecemeal arrival of the StuG's. The arty spotter is the preferred desert of all the Soviets who can't spot the StuG's.

We must be doing something wrong because the Soviets gain 2 campaign points and the Germans only 1. I suppose that these campaign points are a way to balance these scenario's.

We played the scenario twice and came up with the same problem. Monday next we'll continue with the 3rd scenario.

Cheers

Dirk
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum