Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jimmy_P

Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers` Empty Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers`

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 pm
Hi all,

Firstly hello Smile slowly getting into Battlegroup and recently bought the Kursk pdf. I am focusing on Grossdeutschland and have struggled to confirm the numbering system/colours used by their Panzer regiment. I was hoping the knowledge might be found here!

I believe the Tigers used a two digit system (in the Kursk timeframe) and with solely white outlined numbers? Is that correct? From what I've read I'd assume that the rest of their Panzers were numbered using the standard three digit system, but haven't found anything to say whether they still used white outlines too or the more usual black/red infill. I haven't had much joy in finding any photos from the time which I can reliably tell anything from either! Does anyone know the answer please?

Many thanks!
Ilkahn

Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers` Empty Re: Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers`

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:28 pm
https://panzerworld.com/tactical-numbers

It would follow these guidelines to my knowledge
laurence strong
laurence strong

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:10 pm
The 13th company of Panzertruppe GD (and from the summer of 1943 on, the entire III Battalion of the Panzer Regiment) was equipped with Tiger tanks, and they numbered their vehicles with the letter S (presumably for "schwere", or heavy) followed by a two digit sequence representing the platoon and vehicle. After the Panzer Abteilung expanded to a full regiment, and an entire battalion of Tigers was created, the unit used the letters A, B and C to indicate the 9th, 10th and 11th companies of the Panzer Regiment GD, again followed by a two digit sequence representing platoon and vehicle.

Cheers
Larry
Jimmy_P

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 am
Thanks for the replies guys. Whilst it is commonly said that the GD tiger Abteilung were numbered with the letter S, I had read that that somewhere that actually only the command tanks wer numbered with an S and two digits, whilst the rest of the tigers just had two digits?

However, my question really was about the rest of the Panzer Regiment - whether they also used two digits rather than the "standard" three? I'll try and post some photos later but the evidence is mixed (possibly due to the timeframe of the photo, so I am assuming they did initially use two digits but changed to three [except the tigers] at some point later in the war, the question is whether that was befor or after Kursk).

Also most of the photos I've found suggest they used solid white numbers, at least until the switch to three digits. Does that seem right?

Jimmy_P

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am
First pic: GD Tiger
Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers` Img_0210

2nd and 3rd pics: Reputedly from around the Kursk timeframe. Stug is definitely from GD, although not sure when. Two digit numbering in white. The Pz4s I assume are abteilung command vehicles?
Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers` Img_0211
Kursk - Grossdeutschland Panzers` Img_0212
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum