Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
David G.

Warsaw Pact National Traits? Empty Warsaw Pact National Traits?

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:38 pm
Hi all,
First of all I would like to say a big thank you to all the people who have been working on Battlegroup NORTHAG. I think this project is awesome and I hope I can contribute at least a discussion to it.
I know that things like "national traits" or army-wide special rules can be controversial to say the least, especially in a historical setting.
However, I believe that integrating such rules into the main WP forces (East Germany, Poland and the CSSR) will better reflect the fact that contrary to popular belief they were not just carbon-copies of the Soviet Army, but had their own traditions, quirks and ways of doing things. It will also make playing a WP force more attractive to new players.
Having browsed through the East German and Polish Motor Rifle Divisions I find it interesting that the Poles do not use the battle drill special rule.
I personally find completely dropping the rule a bit extreme, suggesting that the Poles didn't operate according to WP doctrine.
I would think that any bonus to orders and command flexibility should go to the army that had the best Officers (Poland/East Germany)
and especially the best NCOs (East Germany). Poland certainly had some of the best trained troops in the Warsaw Pact, but when it comes to Polish Military traditions what I really think of is a fierce patriotism and the will to fight on no matter the odds.
Would the Warsaw Pact be better served if the East Germans receive a bonus to orders (Professional NCOs, maybe re-roll the random order dice?), Poland gets a bonus to its breaking point and Czechoslovakia perhaps a possible boost to the performance of their vehicles (Czechoslovak-built equipment was considered superior to Soviet counterparts).
I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes. I haven't played the game (yet), but I am interested in the Warsaw Pact and from my personal research this is what I think would reflect each nation's traits the best. What do others think?
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum