Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Louis17

Hello, we want to give this game a try! Empty Hello, we want to give this game a try!

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm
Hello all,

I am Louis from Belgium. I am part of a small (10-12 players) FOW players community and before all we are real WW2-wargaming enthusiasts with an historical focus. We would like to test BG at our local club, as we here lots of good about it but never made the step to try it (the comfort of habits I think). Some players did purchase the rule book and some campaign books.

I have a few general questions:

- First of all, in terms of compatibility: is it perfect possible to play BG with FOW based mini's? If we would decide to make the step to BG, what should we have to change to our existing miniatures?

- What battle size should fit the best within our weekly game routine? (about 3 hours). What should be the ideal battle level en points size en what does it represent in terms of number of minis (approximation) and table size? We also play entire game days on bigger tables. Please your advice about this.

I am really looking forward to receive your reactions! Thanks in advance.

Louis
Warwick
Warwick

Hello, we want to give this game a try! Empty Re: Hello, we want to give this game a try!

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:19 pm
Many FOW players seem to playing just fine with their multi-based miniatures, just record casualties on bases in some way. Change nothing... later you might think about rebasing or a few single bases, but to start wih, its just a bit of record keeping or using small dice etc...

Start small, go for say 300-350 pts in a squad game, no arty or aircraft, then added in some arty for a 500 pt game at platoon, and build up. I can finish a 750pt game in 3 hours, but obviously play fast with people that know the rules very well (we barely look at the QRS). 500 pts is do-able in an evening, but it does vary from campaigns, as sometimes 500 pts goes further than others.

let us know how it goes... and any rule queries. Very Happy
wolflord
wolflord

Hello, we want to give this game a try! Empty Re: Hello, we want to give this game a try!

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:50 pm
I also switched from FoW to BG and as a consequence i also use FoW based minis. That is absolutly no problem. Where there are differnces between the FOW bases (which have 4-5 men on the medium ones), like with the German LMG sections, it is only important, that it is clear which bases depict rifles sections and which LMG sections. Just ignore the surplus minis on the base. See alos the thread "Mulit Bases vs. Single Bases" here on the forum.

One last bit of advice: just try out BG, you won't regret it!

Greetings
Wolflord

Colonel White

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:16 pm
What the authors don't tell you is that BG can be very addictive ! . Once you have learned the basics you will not want to go back . Very Happy
Louis17

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 am
Hello,

Thanks for the kind answers! This Friday we will have our first playtesting game at our local club. 350 points each, no arty, no airplanes. Just to get a feel of the games mechanics.

Still regarding the bases: could you tell me what you players are usually using? I see a lot of round mdf bases for individually-based infantry. Is there a favourite/standard width? I guess the goal is to have a certain stability (especially for metal minis, when standing at the edge of a hill e.g.) whithout creating too much unneeded space between two minis of the same unit. Can you advise a producer for the base? Or does someone have a DIY solution for this?

Thanks in advance.
NTM

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:52 am
Around 20mm diameter is the norm for single bases. Some use smaller for 15mm figures. I use laser cut MDF bases from Minibits mainly but have also used Warbases 4ground and Products for Wargamers. Coins or washers are also very popular.
Arshak

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 pm
Louis, 1 cent coins to base single 15mm figures is common, and easily accessible in EU countries (and I guess it would be also the cheapest possible choice).
Louis17

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 pm
Thanks for the answer. I already thought of using 1 cent coins as I am afraid an mdf will not give enough stability for metal mini"s, due to the weight. But on the other hand I thougt a 1 cent coin would be too narrow compared to the heigth of the mini. I see a 1 cent coin is 16,25 mm diameter, a 2 cent coin 18,75. The difference is not big, but ok. I will have to test this before I decide.

Another question (again about basing, sorry): I see most of guns based with all crew glued on the base. I am still reading the rules but I thought the crews could also take casualties (the gun remaining while one of the loaders is KIA). Do you mark it with dice or some sort of counter? Or is this happening quite rarely, that would be why most of players base the crews on the gun base?

Thanks in advance.
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm
I base the crew with the gun cos it looks cool...
Louis17

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:23 pm
Piers wrote:I base the crew with the gun cos it looks cool...

:-) I guess this means you mark casualties with some dice or marker...
Colonel White

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm
Yes most likely. I use miniature dice for that purpose . Its also handy to have some spare crews based as you would normal infantry to act as extra loader teams , should the force list give you that option.
Piers
Piers

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm
I just tend to remember whose dead... not many crew served weapons on my tables.
OscarVictor
OscarVictor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:14 pm
Used to base the crew individually on 2eurocent but adopted Piers technique, looks terrific
and not so hard to keep track of dead ones...

Where are you from in Belgique Louis?
Louis17

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:17 pm
OscarVictor wrote:Where are you from in Belgique Louis?

Hello Victor,

Living in Geraardsbergen but our local club is in Namur...
OscarVictor
OscarVictor

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:50 am
Louis17 wrote:
OscarVictor wrote:Where are you from in Belgique Louis?

Hello Victor,

Living in Geraardsbergen but our local club is in Namur...

désolé, ça fait un peu loin de Dunkerque..
Louis17

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 pm
Hello,

We had our first game yesterday evening. 350 points each, Ardennes US vs GE. We had to check the rulebook a few times but I have to say it went really smooth and lot less complicited than we thought. We played for about 3 hours. Our conclusion: we really really liked it! Once done, we would have played another game if it wasn't 11PM! Can't wait for our next evening!
Piers
Piers

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:31 pm
Great stuff!
Strombones

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 pm
I've actually switched back from basing my infantry on 1 cent bases to FOW stands because I just like the look. Also a bit easier to push the toys around.

And glad you like the rules. If historical accuracy is what you are after, then Battlegroup will not disappoint you. My favorite ruleset of all time. Just plain easy and fun.
Kalinik

Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 am
Louis, where in Belgium are you guys located? I’ve been looking for a FoW or Battlegroup group in Belgium without succes so far! I’m from Belgium myself and a newcomer to table top wargaming but would like to see a real life example of how a game plays out.
Louis17

Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 am
Hello Kalinik,

Our club is located in Namur. Where are you from? You are more than welcome if you want to visit us some time!

Kind regards,

Louis
greenbull

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm
Hi Louis,

like many I also switched years ago from FOW to BG and never looked back ! I use the standard stands and have casualty markers from Peter Pig (dead soldiers). For my US para's I have most on FOW bases and some individuals on 1 cent pieces.
In Gent there are about 6 to 10 active players. Since you game in Namur, I guess you speak French?
Greatings from Gent,
Stefaan
Louis17

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 pm
Hello Stefaan,

French and Dutch, doens't matter! Our club is in Namur but I live in Geraardsbergen... What is the name of your club? Check our Facebook page Les P'tits Soudards

See you for a game!

Louis
greenbull

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 pm
Hi Louis,

most of the BG players in Gent are from the Red Barons club. I'm not a member, but I know a lot of them. Sometimes they play in the Worlds End Comics (very nice location!) and sometimes we just meet at someones house.

Greetings,

Stefaan
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum