Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fitz
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS Empty PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS

Wed May 16, 2018 12:05 am
PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS 2018-05-16-PSC_A9CS-001

Next up for my 1940-41 North African Brits is this one, the Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS, in 15mm (1/100) from PSC. The Close Support tanks mounted a 3" howitzer in place of the gun tanks' 2 pounder.

The Caunter pattern is darker than I usually paint it, as I wanted this tank to look a bit fresher than the others I've done previously. The paint faded fast in desert service under the assault of sun and dust.

PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS 2018-05-16-PSC_A9CS-002

PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS 2018-05-16-PSC_A9CS-003
wolflord
wolflord

PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS Empty Re: PSC Cruiser Mk.I A9 CS

Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm
Excelllent painting! And the Germans get +1 on their spotting rolls because of those shiny fire extingiushers! Very Happy

Greetings
Wolflord
FatAngus

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 am
You A9s are great I've just ordered a box

did all allied tanks have the white red white stripe or only certain units?

I just finished A13s Matilda's and Vickers in caunter do I need to add the stripes is the question
Fitz
Fitz

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 am
FatAngus wrote:did all allied tanks have the white red white stripe or only certain units?

I believe they were specifically recognition flashes for units engaged in Operation Crusader (?). I'm not 100% sure of that, but I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be able to confirm (or not).
Fitz
Fitz

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 am
Here's a quote from an article by Mike Starmer, in the May 2009 edition of Sabot Away! magazine:

Mike Starmer wrote:
The White-Red-White Flash: In early November 1941 whilst planning for "Operation Crusader", the relief of Tobruk, the issue of recognition of friendly AFVs for ground forces was again addressed. All participating armored units were ordered to mark their tanks with a large and distinctive easily recognized marking due to a number of factors ……..
An order from the GHQ of the 8th Army was issued about 5th
November 1941 immediately applicable to all units designated
to partake in the forthcoming operation which commenced on 18th November and continued until 6th January 1942. This order applied to units of both XII and XXX Corps and Tobruk Garrison. In addition to which I have copies of the pertinent sections of this order to 7th Armored Division, 6th Infantry Division and 32nd Army Tank Brigade…….

[R]ecognition of AFVs will be standardized throughout the EIGHTH ARMY on the following lines. Tanks only. Sign to be painted in positions shown on attached diagram, the sign to be 3 vertical bands, the centre band to be red, the outer bands to be white. Each band will be 6 inches wide and up to 18 inches deep according to available space. Paints and brushes are being sent immediately to Formation O.F.Ps. The sign will be painted on as soon as paint is received. Completion of all tanks will be reported to this H.Q.

In each case the designated positions were both sides of the turret, both sides of the front track-guards and one centrally on the front hull plate. These locations were indicated on a somewhat crude drawing attached to the above order…… No marking was to be applied to the rear or horizontal surfaces; this was not an air recognition sign.

This order was followed by item (b)regarding tanks and armored cars that were to carry two pennants in various positions as prescribed in the order on specified dates. There was a codeword issued as the instruction to adopt these pennant positions…….

Following the successful end of the operation in January, albeit with huge losses of tanks and equipment, the white-red-white marking was cancelled and presumably units were ordered to paint over them. No order has yet been found instructing units to obscure or remove the marking but there are a number of photographs taken in early 1942 of different types of tanks that do show fresh camouflage colored rectangles of paint over
those areas where the flash would have been applied.

This flash was never used again anywhere in the Middle East on any other type of tank or other vehicle than those listed above.
Mike Starmer

So, mine are in the wrong place, and there should be more of them.

I've read that the Red-White-Red flash was a more generic marking that appeared on British AFVs up until its replacement by the Allied Star, but more than that I don't know.
sjb1001
sjb1001

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm
Wow!! Beautiful job - have been hanging off getting a load of cruiser tanks and am now inspired - cheers. Very Happy cat Shocked Laughing
FatAngus

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:21 pm
thanks for the info
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum