Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
lswgunner
lswgunner

DUKW as trucks Empty DUKW as trucks

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 am
Hi,
Guys here is one for you. Recent game town fight with a river in it. Yanks vs Germans and the yanks bought a few supply trucks . The us player wanted to use his DUKW's to ferry troops over the river and I said yes on one condition that they lost the " supply" special rule as the fuel ammo etc would have been dumped to allow them to used as truck transport. I thought that was fair . What do you think?
Afterwards I thought could you buy DUKW for troops from the get go when force building? Sound reasonable and did they ever do this in the combat zone in real life?. Seen pics of troops being carried to the front in DUKW's but not seen them in action... thoughts
Wingfield-Haze

DUKW as trucks Empty Re: DUKW as trucks

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am
Hi,
They have a transport capacity of 25 but the points for them are only awarded as a logistics unit, as you most likely know but I suppose they could have a value the same as a truck. They were mostly used to re-supply troops on beachheads from ship to shore as ammo could quickly run short in that combat zone. And to ferry the injured.

I think the LVT Buffalo was the preferred amphibious vehicle used in combat zones, it has a capacity of 35, a handy 20mm and points awarded as a transport. You could nick that from British Commando section. Its a cool model too and with that capacity its nearly a whole platoon.

lswgunner
lswgunner

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:15 am
Anybody got any accounts of DUKW getting near the action?/ caught up or were they that far back?
The Waxed Moustache
The Waxed Moustache

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:40 pm
21st Army group used them extensively as land-going troop transports in 44-45. See this picture of them transporting men from 5 DCLI/43rd Division in Holland, during Market Garden, 18 September 1944:

DUKW as trucks Mid_000000 THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH-WEST EUROPE 1944-45. ©️ IWM (BU 934) IWM Non Commercial License

Source: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203169
NTM

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 pm
They were being used to transport supplies across the various rivers during Market Garden. Troops were crammed in to every available vehicle in an attempt to get them to the Rhine as quickly as possible. Therefore I would not use this as an example of general use as troop transports.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum