Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
AWK600
AWK600

WW2 NKVD uniform colour Empty WW2 NKVD uniform colour

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:16 am
found a lot of different pictures online reguarding WW2 NKVD uniform colours , is there a standard uniform or are they a bit mix and match like the rest of the soviet army
Tony Barton

WW2 NKVD uniform colour Empty Re: WW2 NKVD uniform colour

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm
Bit mix and match as to the colour of khaki used, like all Soviet Forces. Remember Soviet khaki came in winter and summer versions, the summer ( cotton) tending towards mustard, the winter ones( woollen) being noticeably more green. Add to that the variations of manufacture, and of what you are looking at by way of reference, and it's all a bit chaotic.
So any shade will do.In Vallejo, I use anything from 988 Khaki through 880 Grey khaki, to 924 Russian uniform and 887 Brown Violet. It's good to contrast the colours of the various items of equipment.
Best reference for Soviet uniforms are the books showing original items .

The NKVD tended to get the better quality items like sheepskin coats in winter, mind you. All Comrades are Equal, etc.
deephorse

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:18 pm
Try and get a copy of KGB & Soviet Security Uniforms & Militaria 1917 - 1991 by Bekesi and Torok (currently around £22 on Amazon UK). 16 pages of WWII photos and colour photos of real uniforms worn by models comprise the Great Patriotic War section of this book. It illustrates the different khaki colours mentioned by Tony, plus when and where other colours of uniform would be worn. Money well spent in my opinion.
Ilkahn

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:02 pm
I have done alot of reading and research on soviet uniforms in regards to colors etc.  I will see if i still have the links saved somewhere as they are great resource materials, if i do, i'll add them.

Long story made short, several things to keep in in mind.  Initial phases of Barbarossa took millions upon millions of troops off the field and with them their uniforms.  It wasn't long that the speed of the german advance startled soviets into tearing down factories and moving them further east into the Urals.  This preserved the major infrastructure to be able to continue the war industry however processes such as dye making suffered.  What's more important, the pants color or the pants?  These were real issues faced by the soviet union which lead to a vast array of different shades of materials right through the end of the war.  The uniforms were supposed to be of a greenish color aprox the vallejo 880.  However, due to lack of color guards (to the best of memory) many uniforms simply started fading into the brownish/yellow color we think of, and some of them were dyed a shade of that color.

Keep in mind, there were roughly 34-40 million soviets conscripted/serving from 1941-1945 (20-25% of the population depending on the info).  Imagine, that's 7-8 million uniforms a year to be turned out for just 1 set of pants and a shirt.  I would imagine each man was issued at least 2-3 tunics/trousers etc.  Also, keep in mind that despite the myth that the soviets were undersupplied in many areas it's simply not as true as hollywood leads us to believe.  The germans  often used captured russian winter cloting.  This was something that was regularly issued to soviet soldiers, they did not lack for warm clothing, their lives may have been needlessly wasted by horrible leadership but they were well supplied.  Now the quality of some things may have suffered, but the important purposes seem to have been covered.

In short, if you paint your dudes slightly shades of different colors off one paint, it may look much more historically correct if that is what you are attempting to do.

P.S. To the best of my recollection these color issues were non regarded as important unless it affected someone who could send you to the gulags. So i'd not worry about it except for officers. They simply would have taken the best uniforms they could politically obtain. Your rank and file NKVD etc would have had same uniforms and issues. more or less.
AWK600
AWK600

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:24 pm
happy with this little chap

WW2 NKVD uniform colour Dscf6710
Truscott Trotter
Truscott Trotter

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 pm
I painted mine the same shade of Khaki- grey as the rest of my Soviets
Thanks loaded now

WW2 NKVD uniform colour 20160510
WW2 NKVD uniform colour 20160511

Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AWK600
AWK600

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33 pm
images should download straight from your computer
deephorse

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:30 pm
Australian NKVD!
Truscott Trotter
Truscott Trotter