Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cold Steel

Lorraine Campaign Empty Lorraine Campaign

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 am
What's the best way to model the difference in performance between the US tank crews of the 37th Tank Battalion vs the 111 and 113 Panzer Brigades at the Battle of Arracourt? The Germans had a 3:1 numerical advantage in tanks and assault guns, (with over half of them Panthers), but lost almost 4 times as many. The US tanks regularly outmaneuvered the Germans to negate their advantages. I am considering fewer officers for the Germans, for example, 2-3 extra tanks for each German platoon vs all 3-tank US platoons. Making the German crews Inexperienced and the US Veterans with 1-2 Ace crews will help. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Joe
Hauptmann Füßli
Hauptmann Füßli

Lorraine Campaign Empty Re: Lorraine Campaign

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:58 am
I think this goes in the right direction!

But I wonder if it is enough to create the desired effect.
The Panther is by far superior to the Sherman Tank in a shoot-out, especially if allowed to deploy in defensive position, close to a table-edge.
And with superior numbers the german player would have plenty of spare AFV to guard their flanks...

So I would guess the right choice of mission (forcing the germans to manouver) combined with pre-game Breakdown/Out of fuel markers on these vehicles (thus heavily limiting their mobility) will help.

Moreover I don't think it necessary to create the full 3:1 ratio of numerical superiority in a single battle.
I would guess the germans had great difficulty to ever throw the full weight of their numerical superiority into a single battle, due to mechanical difficulties (especially with the Panther) and shortage of fuel.
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:28 pm
My suggestions:

- make the germans inexperienced
- make them almost totally lacking in infantry support (will provoke more failed morale/ abandoned panthers)
- give them fewer orders (make the americans have 1 more dice for orders and buy them the radio link reroll)
- Make the escenario with special condition "time is pressing" (see "roadblock" escenario in WAR)

hope that helps.

Diego
Stuart J
Stuart J

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:17 am
All those suggestions will help, but impress upon the US commander the value of reserve moves so that he can move up (at the end of the German phase), fire and pull back to cover/out of sight - this is the 'shoot and scoot' tactic used to great effect in the real battle of Arracourt.

Also the fog that day should be factored in to reduce visibility - no air support, but it negates the long range firepower of the German guns
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum