Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jinx
Jinx

Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries Empty Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm
When trying to figure out what I needed to buy for my new French Battlegroup I found a possible problem / mix-up on pages 76/77.

The Dragons Portés entry on p. 76 states that a squad is made up of two elements, a 7 men and a 3 men element, ten men in total, transported in a P19 Kegresse halftrack. The problem with that is that the P19 Kegresse VDP : "voiture de Dragons Portés" = "Dragons Portés's car" only has a capacity 1+6 places. One driver, one section/half-section commander in the front and 5 men in the back. It is by design intended for a typical French half squad/section of 6 men. The Laffly S20TL truck used by the Motorised Infantry Platoon on p. 77 on the other hand, has the exactly the 10 men capacity needed for the Dragon Portés squad on p. 76. While the entry for the Motorised Infantry says that the platoon would be transported in 7 Laffly S20TL trucks which would leave a lot of empty places and a 12 men section could not be (comfortably) transported in one truck. But the Motorised Infantry is organized in 6 men half sections which would exactly fit the P19 Kegresse VDP.

Furthermore, the picture of the P19 on p. 76 rather seems to be a Somua MCL5. I’ve attached a picture of a P19 VDP to give you an idea of the cramped layout. It would be nigh impossible to get ten men in there. The picture follow in 7 days as I cannot post links to external sites at the moment (new board member).
Hauptmann Füßli
Hauptmann Füßli

Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries Empty Re: Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm
Just found these pictures:

Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries 1280px13
Somua MCG

Indeed, clearly the vehicle pictured in the book on p.76 titled Kegresse P19 .
The Somua MCG should be sufficient to transport a full section of ten soldiers (2+8 soldiers according to Wikipedia).

Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries 1280px12
Kegresse P19B

I don't think it suitable to accommodate a squad of 10 soldiers (including equipment) on a regular basis.
On the other hand it appears indeed to be tailored for a demi-section of the 'Motorised Infantry'.
So I speculate the two vehicles indeed became mixed-up in the book.  

Concerning the Laffly S20TL I stumbled upon a note that it was specifically designed for the 'Dragons portes'.
But I could not find any further information concerning their historical use.
In the Blitzkrieg Book it is the organic Transport for the 'Dragons Portes Patrol' Reconnaissance unit (p.81).

So, the question remains...
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries Empty Re: Confusion about possible problem with French infantry entries

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:53 pm
Jinx:

2 of the 3 Mechanised Cavalry Divisions used the Laffy S20TL for transporting their Dragons Porteés. It was a vehicle speciffically designed for them.
So , in my French army, my Dragons Porteé platoon use 4x Laffy S20TL
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum