Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Iain R
Iain R

Mk III Tin Helmets in Burma? Empty Mk III Tin Helmets in Burma?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:56 pm
Does anyone happen to have any photographic evidence (or otherwise) of the Mk III "Turtleback" tin helmet being worn by British troops in the closing stages of the war in the CIB theatre?

I know theoretically there's no reason fresh drafts sent straight from the UK right at the end of the war couldn't have had the new helmet, but somehow it just doesn't seem right. I thought I saw footage of a Bren gunner wearing said helmet in the Burma episode of The World At War, but it was too close in and brief to be sure.

Anyone got a definitive answer either way?

Many thanks in advance!
Piers
Piers
https://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Mk III Tin Helmets in Burma? Empty Re: Mk III Tin Helmets in Burma?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm
I've never seen one worn in Burma in 45. 

I've been going through a lot of infantry pics lately while doing research for the Burma book and it's not something I've seen. Everyone seems to have MKIIs with a variety of scrim covers, the bush hat orb the occasional 'soft cap'. 

Will have another look later in a book I have on British jungle equipment and see what it says.
Iain R
Iain R

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:53 pm
Ideal, thanks a lot.
The Waxed Moustache
The Waxed Moustache

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:43 pm
Osprey's British Army in SE Asia book explicitly states that no MKIIIs made it out there. Try the IWM's online gallery. Everything there is MkII.
Forrester
Forrester

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 am
I dont KNOW but am guessing the new drafts would be issued helmets when they got there? Hence old stocks only?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum