Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chapps

Transports – Purchase, Use and Capacity Empty Transports – Purchase, Use and Capacity

Fri May 11, 2018 5:39 pm
When looking to purchase units for our second game I could use some help interpreting the Kursk supplement regarding transport units.  I understand from another posting that a tow vehicle purchased as an option with a gun purchase must remain dedicated for use during the game only to the gun it was purchased for, but I'm not sure of how passenger transports may be used in the game.

Some of these questions may seem pretty simple but I find it is better to get it correct from the start instead of having to unlearn an error later!

As an example, in the German Infantry Division section under Infantry choices, say I purchase an Infantry Platoon and add the four medium trucks for the Command Squad and 3 Grenadier Squads.  For platoon support options offered I also purchase a Heavy Machine Gun Team, Light Mortar Team, Anti-Tank Rifle Team, and Medium Mortar Team.  

1. Does the Transport Capacity value of 12 of the Opel Blitz in the Kursk supplement's Soft Skinned Vehicle table mean the maximum number of men it can carry, in this case 12 men?

2. Since the MG Teams may be “transported in the platoon's other vehicles” can the truck purchased with the squad carry as passengers both the squad (5 men) and its MG team (3 men) for a total of 8 men?

3. Is the truck purchased for that squad only for use by that squad and it's MG or is it “mix and match” with one truck able to carry as passengers 2 squads (10 men) or 3 MG teams (9 men)?  

4. None of the support units have an option to buy a transport for them.
a. Can the four trucks be considered a “general passenger transport” for all of the support units of the platoon?
b. Can a truck take on more passengers until the total sum of all their men is equal to or less than it's capacity? For example, can one truck carry as passengers 1 squad (5 men) and the Anti-Tank Rifle Team (2 men) and the Light Mortar Team (2 men) and the Heavy Machine Gun Team  (3 men) to load the medium truck to maximum capacity of 12?

5. The medium mortar is classed as a 'gun' in the movement and fire rules but when chosen as a platoon support option there is no transport option listed.  Is the Medium Mortar and crew just another passenger (eg. can one truck carry as passengers 1 squad (5 men) and the Medium Mortar (3 men + mortar)?  Or does its 'gun' class require the truck to be a dedicated load vehicle to carry only the Medium Mortar Team similar to a tow vehicle for a towed gun?

6. If the Medium Mortar is classed as a gun and cannot be transported by the platoon's trucks does this mean that after they arrive on the table edge they may only move by manhandling during the game?  

7. Are passenger transport vehicles only able to be used only by the same platoon that they were purchased with or, after they disembark their passengers, may they be re-used for general passenger transport for the rest of the game by any other friendly infantry unit on the table?  

8. German and Russian Artillery Units:
a. For the truck transport option for German Heavy Mortars does “mount in a medium truck” mean the truck is dedicated like a tow vehicle?  
b. Russian Heavy Mortars do not offer a transport option. Does this mean they may not be embarked as passengers by any other transport vehicle during the game?  

Your answers will be a great help to our group!  

Thanks.  -  Gary
Nazrat
http://jer-toons.com

Transports – Purchase, Use and Capacity Empty Re: Transports – Purchase, Use and Capacity

Fri May 11, 2018 6:11 pm
Hi Chapps, I'll give it a shot, although until Warwick or Piers weighs in you won't get an "official" answer..

1. Yes, 12 men total.
2. Yes.
3. I always try to keep the two sections in the same truck but I suppose there's no reason not to split things up. But historically I'd imagine the whole 8-man squad would be together.
4. They are Platoon assets so I think they would be in the same trucks. I do it that way.
5. Technically you could, but why? Mortars should be nowhere near the sharp end up there with the infantry.
6. I would, but then I never take on-board mortars.
7. I would say yes, only by their own platoon. But in my experience you generally don't have the orders or the time to be roaring around moving multiple units around the table during a game.
8. a. Yes b. Maybe, but I would lean towards a firm yes, that's what it means. bUt see my answer to 5. Cool=
Chapps

Transports – Purchase, Use and Capacity Empty Re: Transports – Purchase, Use and Capacity

Sun May 13, 2018 10:29 pm
Thanks Nazrat!

That clears #1-#4 & #7 up nicely and will help to answer possible in-game transport questions as we learn BGK. Finding out that a medium mortar is classed as infantry resolves #5 & #6, and that a heavy mortar is not classed as infantry and can only use its dedicated transport option (if offered) resolves #8. My suspicion is that we will likely follow your lead and favour off-board mortars!

Cheers. - Gary
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Mon May 14, 2018 12:09 am
On board mortars are nice to show your miniatures! And they give 1 BR each!
dead1

Mon May 21, 2018 2:37 am
Nazrat wrote:
5.  Technically you could, but why?  Mortars should be nowhere near the sharp end up there with the infantry.
6.  I would, but then I never take on-board mortars.

My thoughts too. Though on a really big board you could justify some medium mortars (8cm).

I'd never take anything bigger on the table unless I was going to use it in a direct fire role only. Good examples are utilisation of British 25 pounders in AT role , Soviet use of artillery in direct fire role (including those massive 203mm howitsers for urban clearance). I think German infantry guns including SPGs were at times used in a similar direct fire role but I could be wrong..

Still its good the game allows it for those who want to shows their toys off!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum