Go down
Rommel70

what Scale?

on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:35 am
Dear all. I read somewhere (guess PSC FB) about a possibile Northag Kickstarter project with 10mm miniatures. I found that scale perfect anyway i guess there are all scales players here. That said may i suggest to put in the rules dedicated reference guide diagram and table dimensions) for every possibile and reasonable Scale? 6mm, 10mm 15 and 20mm.
Cold Steel

Re: what Scale?

on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:15 am
Play 10 mm using the rules as written. I think it looks better than in 15 or 20 mm.
Smee106

on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 am
I’m really looking forward to the PSC 10mm range, hopefully we’ll get some more news on it soon and maybe some pics
sediment
https://sedimentswargameblog.blogspot.co.uk/

on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:32 am
We've played in 6mm and 15mm. The advantage with 6mm is that you can build forces for just about anyone, with all the fancy kit and optional extras, and still have change from sixpence - well almost, allowing for inflation. 6mm gives a quick and convenient way to test what sort of force you like and then think about doing it in a different scale if you like bigger kit. 6mm scale also emphasises the emptiness of the battlefield, which gives a nice, albeit not very photogenic, look to the tabletop. We don't have any 10mm moderns to test that scale.

Cheers, Andy
Magnum Opus

on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm
At first: Hello to You all.  

My Friend Aristides brought me here - and I think, I will at best fit in here in NORTHAG - not for a 100%, but mostly. I once also built WWII-Models like Heck and supported my Palz with them - but after some Guyz in another Forum managed to gross me out big Time, I have had it with WWII.

For my pretty strange Project I use 1/72- Models mostly (what is a bit frustrating, because all the Figures I find often are made of some odd soft Plastic). For our Scenarios (which are perhaps a bit over-the-Top) I mostly need Vietnam-Type Soldiers - and high-End modern Troops.

For some other Scenarios I prefer roughly the 1/48-Scale. These are mostly small-Scale-Skirmishes, so we can get a bit bigger. And we have to adjust the Ranges a bit - we use them mostly alongside our RPGs. There is because of my Background-Story some Fantasy and Snowstorm in all my Stuff - but we think, a bit Fantasy couldn´t be that bad. Cool afro
PanzerSmurf

on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 pm
Since most of my terrain and minis are already in 15mm I imagine this is where I will play Northag. Plus I'm really liking the PSC and Team Yankee models... Just waiting for some proper Nato troops in hard plastic. Until then I'm using the Flames of War Vietnam troops for US and Team Yankee Russians.
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:11 pm
My friend and I are playing NORTHAG games in 6mm, and find that playing with all ranges and movement unchanged makes for quite a good-looking game. Though still not completely realistic, weapon ranges appear much less compressed. I imagine that would hold true for 10mm too, to a slightly lesser extent.

One advantage of the smaller scales (apart from the much lower cost) is that by translating all the inch ranges and movement to centimetres, you can have a normal game in very limited space, or else have a much larger game than would normally be feasible with 15mm or 20mm models.
PanzerSmurf

on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm
Fitz, how do you guys deal with Infantry at that scale? I've always felt like BG worked well with infantry really well... are your forces just really tank heavy?
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39 pm
PanzerSmurf wrote:Fitz, how do you guys deal with Infantry at that scale?  I've always felt like BG worked well with infantry really well... are your forces just really tank heavy?

Our games have been mostly vehicles thus far, but that's only because I've been so slow at getting my infantry painted. We use multi-figure bases (the bases are washers of various sizes) and tiny 5mm dice for casualty tracking.

6-sided dice are fine for my troops, as the rifle groups are the largest bases and are only 5 men, but for human-wave armies like North Koreans or PLA we'd probably have to get some polyhedral D&D dice, if we wanted to stick to one die per base. They're also available in tiny sizes for not much money from China.

It works well enough, but there is necessarily a certain loss of granularity about unit engagements. You don't really get the situation that arises when using individually-based figures where maybe only two or three figures of the section can target another unit — either everyone on the base is shooting, or nobody is.

I don't imagine it would be all that difficult to introduce "partial acquisition" sighting rules for use with multi-figure basing, but I'm not convinced it would add much to the enjoyment of the game.
Lion in the Stars

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 am
My terrain is all 15mm, so that's what I'll be playing WW3 in. Besides, Geoff at QRF and Armys Armies have me covered for VDV and Swedes, I want to play the Coldest War.

I can basically take the normal Flames of WW2 board, add a line of high-tension electricity towers, and be done.
sediment
https://sedimentswargameblog.blogspot.co.uk/

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 am
And a McDonalds, wouldn't be modern era without a fast food joint!

Cheers, Andy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum