Go down
Taranis

Litko plywood bases vs MDF

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:02 pm
I'm fairly new to this hobby and have only used plastic bases in the past. With BG I want to use a 3mm thick bases to make them easier to pick up and move. I was planning on going with MDF bases but I heard they absorb acrylic paints and need to be sealed before applying acrylic paints.

Is this true of plywood bases as well or can you directly apply acrylic primer to plywood bases? Also what is the best way to seal a MDF base if I go that route?

For reference I'm basing 1/285 scale models for Tobruk and Torch once I can get my hands on it.

Thanks

Last edited by Taranis on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
NTM

Re: Litko plywood bases vs MDF

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 pm
I use mdf bases exclusively and have no issues painting them with acrylics.
Dixie D

on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:42 am
Likewise no issues with mdf.
Warbases.co.uk all the way ☺️
Taranis

on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:09 am
Glad to hear that acrylic paints and MDF bases  haven't been an issue for you guys!

Anyone have experience with Litko plywood bases, is there any advantage to using them over MDF? Unfortunately I don't have a gaming store near me to compare the two in person so I'll have to order them online.

Thanks for the the information

Last edited by Taranis on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Greystreak

on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 pm
I've used Litko plywood bases for 28mm Napoleonics for over a decade (1.5mm thickness), chiefly because they are mounted on matching magnetic sections fastened with a peel-and-stick adhesive (also from Litko), which anchors the figure stands to thin steel sheets in bottoms of the transport/storage boxes.  I seal the plywood with a thin coat of shellac, then paint with acrylic paints, apply sand & glue, tufts, etc.  In more than ten years, I've never had one 'warp' or come apart from the magnetic piece underneath.  The magnetic strips are so strong that I can throw my troop boxes in the trunk and drive for 3 hours over all kinds of roads without any figures coming adrift, or getting damaged.  I cannot report on MDF bases, as I've never used them, but anecdotally have heard from other MDF users that they either seal them first with shellac, or a coat of household acrylic emulsion paint (e.g., bought in a 'tester pot' from local hardware shop).  The only 'warped' MDF bases I've ever seen were on bases for buildings and scenery that were very large.  Hope that helps.
Taranis

on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 pm
Thanks for the information Graystreak! I never thought of using a Shellac to seal the plywood bases. I'm tempted to use magnetic strips on my bases. The Litko bases I was looking at are 3mm thick, I'm little worried that adding the magnetic strips will pedestal my little 1/285 scale guys too much.

I think I'll go with the Liko plywood bases since I can order them along with my GHQ miniatures and with the amount of money I'll spend I'll get free shipping.

I appreciate everyone's input, now to put my order together Smile

Last edited by Taranis on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum