Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
wedgie2007

Please Help Me Build My First WWII Forces Empty Please Help Me Build My First WWII Forces

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 am
I am wanting to build the US and German forces to fight mainly early D-Day through to the battle of the bulge. I normally am a Napoleonic wargamer but since I was a small child I have had a passion for all things WW2 and I have finally collected a few boxes from Warlord Games from their Bold Action range. These are the items I have purchased so far.
US Forces
US Airborne  - 30 Figures
M3A1 Half-Track
M3A1 Half-Track
M3A1 Half-Track
US Airborne Jeep (1944-45)
US Airborne Jeep (1944-45)
US Airborne Hand Carts
US Airborne Hand Carts
US Airborne Hand Carts
US Airborne – 75mm Howitzer & Crew
US Airbourne 57mm Anti-Tank Team
US Airbourne 57mm Anti-Tank Team
US Airborne HQ
US Airborne – Bazooka & 60mm light mortar team
US Airborne – Bazooka & 60mm light mortar team
US Infantry
US Infantry
US Infantry
US Infantry
US Infantry
US Infantry
US Army – Battalion Command Set
Jeep with 50cal Machine Gun
Jeep with 50cal Machine Gun
Jeep with 30cal Machine Gun
US Tank Platoon
M24 Chaffee Tank
M24 Chaffee Tank
M24 Chaffee Tank
M18 Hellcat Platoon
German forces
Late War Panzergrenadiers  - 30 Figures
Late War Panzergrenadiers  - 30 Figures
German Grenadier - 30 Figures
German Grenadier  - 30 Figures
Oak Leaf Spring Camo Waffen-SS  - 30 Figures
SD.KFZ 251/10 (PAK 36) Half-Track
German Army – Kubelwagen
German Army – Heer 75mm LEiG 18 Artillery
German Heer 105mm Gun & Crew
German Heer 105mm Gun & Crew
German Army – High Command
German Army – Heer Forward Observation Team (FOO)
German Heer 75mm Pak 40 AT Gun (Winter)
German Heer 75mm Pak 40 AT Gun (Winter)
German Heer 81mm Medium Mortar
German Heer 81mm Medium Mortar
Hanomags
Hanomags
Hanomags
Hanomags
Hanomags
Hanomags
German Army – Waffen-SS Sniper, Flamethrower and Panzerschreck Teams
Waffen-SS Forward Observer Team
Waffen-SS HQ
Blitzkrieg German Panzer Crew
Panzer IV
Panzer IV
Panzer III
Panzer III
Stug III
Stug III
Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer
Panther Ausf. A
Panther Ausf. A
Panther Ausf. A

Aircraft
Allied Air Power
Typhoon
Spitfire Mk.Vb
Spitfire Mk.Vb
US Thunderbolt
P-51 Mustang
Nazi Air Power
Messerschmitt Bf 109
Messerschmitt Bf 109
JU87B-1
JU87B-2
JU87B-2

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to putting my forces together, I was hoping to build these units “easy” Company 101st US Airborne, 2nd Armoured Division with 4th Division attached and 12th SS Panzer Division, it is very difficult to build these units according to their historical order of battles.

I have spoken with a few people in the Bolt Action world and they have suggested that Bolt Action is not for me due to the volume of my collection, they have suggested that if I want a company versus company engagement in 28mm on a 12ftx8ft table then I should go with Battlegroup.

Can anyone here please advise if Battlegroup rules would allow me to use my 28mm (single based figures) collection to field a company versus company engagements on my 12ftx8ft table?

Thank you
Wingfield-Haze

Please Help Me Build My First WWII Forces Empty Re: Please Help Me Build My First WWII Forces

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 am
Bejesus that's a lot of stuff. Well there is no reason why you can't play Battlegroup with 28mm, indeed some play in 54mm. Single basing is not an issue, if you haven't based it all yet its a nice touch to do some multi-basing to create little diorama's, like a comms team or ya big cheese. I would suggest getting stuff geared towards a squad game to learn the rules and build up your force to accommodate bigger engagements, at least that way you be playing while building that huge project. It will also help you to build army lists, although there is no reason you can't stray a little to fit historical engagements. The recommended size of table for 20mm (28mm not listed) is 6'x8' so you should be okay on your large table although the era and theatre of war you are fighting in is quite terrain heavy so be sure to create some more open areas to ensure there are no tankjams! and the game is allowed to flow. The good thing about BG is that it accommodates all sorts of vehicles allowing you to use arty pieces, though not essential. It allows the player to use stuff that ordinarily would be stuck on a shelf- bergepanther for example. Good luck and gaming, BG is a great system.
Stuart J
Stuart J

Please Help Me Build My First WWII Forces Empty Re: Please Help Me Build My First WWII Forces

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:18 am
“A Sherman can give you a very nice… edge." Cool
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum