Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Nino Kano

destroyed vehicles Empty destroyed vehicles

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 am
A few days ago I was listening to a story about a battle that happened in Korea. I don't remember to much about it. I was driving and ended zoning out after hearing about a US army officer (don't remember the rank) deploying two Pershing tanks on a bridge to defend against an attack by Chinese and North Koreans with a large force of T-34 85s.

The 2 tanks ended up something like 10 or 20 tanks and won the day. It was the commander s idea that if the two Pershings had been knocked out they would have blocked the only bridge into the village/town allowing the us troops and civilians to escape.

This got me thinking and zoning out and not getting to hear or remember the details. But, how would this play out in BG?

Road blocks are just an obstacle and reduces movement a d6. I see this as junk, logs, vehicles like cars and trucks, Farm equipment, wagons and such.

But how would you treat something like a destroyed armoured vehicle? I was thinking all soft skin vehicles would be an obstacle, light armored vehicles as an obstacle plus difficult, and an tank as a dangerous obstacle?

What do you guys think? I do not have all the books, so I don't know if there are rules already out there for this
Nazrat
http://jer-toons.com

destroyed vehicles Empty Re: destroyed vehicles

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 am
It would make the road impassable in my opinion. It would take a much bigger tank to even try to move an armored wreck, and it would probably damage it, burn out the transmission, or throw a track if it did. I think it would complicate things unnecessarily to try and make rules for this sort of thing. I would allow an engineering vehicle to try to tow it out of the way, though. Although doing it under fire would be a real challenge!
Nino Kano

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm
See, I was thinking the same thing. But, I have a battle coming up in a few days where there is a large impassable river with a single large 4 lane bridge. I am planning to do this very thing. I just know my opponent is going to raise a fuss.
Stuart J
Stuart J

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm
This is really a terrain/scenario specific question IMO as normally, you wouldn't bother about moving an obstacle but just drive around it - most roads capable of handling heavy armor are wide enough to do so. Unless it is a bridge or something like a narrow track through bocage with embankments and/or ditches either side, it should be passable under the normal movement rules. Otherwise, get painting those ARV's and Bergepanzers!

As an aside, tanks prefer to move cross country as they are better able to cover each other in formation than being trapped in single file on a road, vulnerable to ambush or a single strafing run by those Jabos Shocked
Powermonger
Powermonger
http://www.thewargamespot.com

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm
In that specific scenario (the pershings and the bridge), I will make the bridge impassable.
We have set certain (non-official) guidelines regarding roads and vehicles as obstacles.

Roads: there are 3 types

Full Road: A destroyed vehicle in the road does not make movement more difficult. The road is fully usable.
One and Half Road: A destroyed vehicle in the road does not make movement more difficult, while the passing vehicle does not end in the same spot parallel to the destroyed vehicle.
Rural road: The road is rendered impassable to all unless the AFV is moved by a recovery vehicle.

Roadblocks: as the rulebook. But only passable by full-tracked vehicles, and treat them as difficult ground (1D6 less movement)

Take care when using confined rural roads with bocage or hedges on the sides. As a destroyed vehicle could make the game a very boring one in that case.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum