Go down
eddieazrael

WIP Panthers - have they gone horribly wrong?

on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:41 pm

Above are some Panther A's that I'm part way through painting - while going for a variation on 3 tone, I think they look rather too brown - I've put the bands of green over/inside the brown stripes - my usual 3 tone is per the Puma I've included in the shot. Just asking for guidance here - have these gone horribly wrong "ie no panther ever looked like that", or should I finish them in this scheme?
OvS

Re: WIP Panthers - have they gone horribly wrong?

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 am
Didn't the Wehrmacht had problems with painting there tanks at the end of the war? Not enough ressources, so the units in the field used whatever paint they had?
eddieazrael

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:48 am
Ok, thanks for the input - I see lots of people have looked at the post - no comments guys?
Gunbird

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:05 am
I would not worry too much about it, perfectly serviceable. If you are worried they are too dark, just go a bit lighter for the basecoat next time and work from there.
Greebs

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm
The green is a little dark for my tastes, but they are far from the worst, most ruined AFVs I've ever seen. I also like mixing up camo patterns across different vehicles types, as Germans could hardly attain consistency in camo patterns at the small unit level, never mind across the sort of combined arms collections we gamers end up with that could be pulled from multiple different battalions or even Divisions, so props for trying something different!

The application isn't spot on, but there are definitely tanks on record with broad overlaid stripes like that. Some of the 12th SS and I./24 machines had something in or around that ballpark. I hate pretty much everything that comes out of my airbrush, but with a bit of weathering, TLC, and just persisting until the model is Done, I'm usually pleasantly surprised how well it comes together.

I'd look into doing some chipping in something a bit lighter than your base colour to break up the large dark patches a bit (dark sand is my go to for Dunkelgelb). If it's not something you do already, pin washing is a great way to make details pop while under camouflage.  Take every excuse you can to pick out stowage and gear. Paint the spare tracks. Paint the tools. Slap some really big turret numbers on there, go for white with a red outline if you've got it. Dust the lower hull and skirts with some light, dusty pigment. Use some foliage like the Puma (As an aside, I'd like a closeup of that Puma, and to know how you did the Foliage!).
Steve J

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:48 pm
I think the reason they look different is that the green has gone on a darker base than the Puma. You could try a lighter coat of green to make it stand out more, or add details as suggested by Greebs.
eddieazrael

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Close ups of the Puma as requested - 15mm from Forged in Battle. The yellow coat is actually the same recipe as the Panthers - from the Battlegroup Kursk painting guide - (hence why I wondered why they looked so different) - I think I just went much lighter on the brown and green. The foliage is nothing special, just Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage stuck on with PVA.

Thanks all for the helpful comments - I think I'll drybrush over the top with the dunklegelb again to tone it all down, that should bring it in line with my other stuff, though I do want some differences anyway.
laurence strong

on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:19 am
Try dry brushing the vehicle with a lightened version of your dunkelgelb....and tone down the rotbraun and olivgrün...

Cheers
Larry
Adler Leon
http://home.clara.net/adlermin/

on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:09 pm
Theres a lot of colour variations in German camo, a lot of later war vehicles seem to have been a lot browner, not sure why maybe the green was in short supply?
Look fine to me.
A coat of dust/dirt will sort them no problem.
L
Kirill_GV001
https://redbannerforces.wordpress.com/

on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:09 pm
I wouldn't call them ruined, or even inappropriately painted, at all.

By the end of the war, due to bombings and resource shortages, the paints used by the Wehrmacht to camouflage their vehicles would have extremely irregular shades.
Moreover, in many units, the painting was done by the crews : the vehicles were delivered in a plain Dunkelgelb livery, and the crews would then be invited to display their "artistic" talents when adding Olivgrün and Schokolade to the base color (or, in some cases, Dunkelgelb and Olivgrün to the brownish red rust-preventing paint coat).
Most units would follow the official orders and follow the Ambush scheme or whatever was the "official" pattern at the time, but some units allowed more inspiration. The most dedicated crews would then do a good disruptive pattern, but the sloppiest ones would just take a broom, a rag, and slather the paint on the tanks!

... so, unless you're willing to recreate a real life unit you have reference pics of, there's no need to get that exact shade or that exact pattern... I'm fairly sure that both your Puma and Panthers had real life counterparts looking exactly like that, maybe even in the same unit!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum