Go down
Tau1850

Using defences

on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:18 am
Ok, I am back with a few questions on some of the defenses.

Would you guys give infantry hard cover if they was deployed/moved into an antitank ditch/embankment?

Would a gun team get cover if it was behind an improvised barricade or does it only proved cover for infanty.? I am visualizing that the barricade is only a foot or 2 high and the infantry are actually laying down. And so angun team would get no actual benefit from it because it's size.

Can machine gun teams be placed with fox holes and when placing fox holes does the entire squad/unit have to be in fox holes? Eg. Armoured infantry squad with 10 men and I deploy 8 of them in fox holes can I then place 2 with out the fox holes but in cover like a building? Also could I place the fox holes inside a building?

Bonus unrelated question I just noticed, in the overlord Beyond the beaches book on page 57 for the American armoured infantry platoon, should the heavy machine gun team get an option to mount in a half track? Both British hmg get the option of a transport as well as the US infantry platoon, although it is a Jeep.

These questions arised after I played a defense.... wasn't sure what I was doing during the battle and was royally crushed. But, next time I will stop those pesky Germans.

Andreas3

Re: Using defences

on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Obviously an entire squad must either be placed in foxholes or not, it makes no sense splitting the squad up on the defence when the rules doesn't allow for it anywhere else (except for special rules like bren teams, but that still only divides one large squad up in two smaller ones). And placing foxholes inside a building? Really? What the heck do you expect? Of course you can't place foxholes inside a building because it makes no sense what so ever!
Gunbird

on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm
Of course you can't place foxholes inside a building because it makes no sense what so ever!

Well, not that weird, as he could always use the option to use a Fortified Building, if in the army list, to give him reinforced cover.

Getting your infantry into a AT ditch would grant them Hard Cover if it is a proper ditch.

A gun team gets cover from barricades as well, I'm not sure why you think a barricade is just 1-2 foot tall! Look at pictures of combat zones from cities etc.....

Your unit does not fit in 10 foxholes? Buy more foxholes.

Bonus question: Just pay the 2 points for a jeep or shove it in a truck with the infantry

Also: how did you lose?
Tau1850

on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm
I was thinking that the rule seems pretty specific for the barricade, it stating that it provides hard cover for infanty. Because of that I was thinking the defense would only be large enough just for infantry and since infantry can kneel or lay down. Therefore not large enough for an gun teams since they can be pretty big.
Going along with that I was thinking an antitank ditch would have to be deep enough to prevent the tanks from climbing out and there for would be to deep for infantry or gun teams to fire out of, aka blocking Los when inside.
For the foxholes I was looking at them as being an abstraction of a temporary presonal defence, key word temporary. So you set up a a squad, using foxholes, inside a building giving hard cover to that squad. And so if they are removed from that building the defenses would also go away. Where as with a reenforced building would be permanent so units can move into and out of including enemy units.
Also with the foxholes I had an infantry foot patrol, (7 man rifle squad and a 5 man bar squad,) so that would leave 2 guys out.

As for losing my fight it was all on me with several poor placement choices of the objectives, defenses and units. Was playing defense and had to start in the center. Also I should have fell back into the town behind my defense line and fprcing the Germans to move into the open. As with a lot of battles it's not one thing that causes a lost but a series of failures and misfortunes happing.
Gunbird

on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:25 pm
Less assuming things would help. When in doubt, look at historical photographs to see what something looked like.

Foxholes are gone as soon as you leave them, and yes, some armies have bigger units so you need more of them. Life is tough Smile Saying your building is also a foxhole....a foxhole is reinforced cover, a house is hard cover. Saying your foxholes are inside the house and then claiming reinforced cover is a tad cheecky to me. But it is your game, if your opponent agrees with it, why not?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum