Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
lstarup

German MG team Empty German MG team

Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 pm
Hi guys

I'm new to Battlegroup, and have just started to build my first German army, but I'm not sure how to build the MG teams. If I look at the Infantry Weapons Of World War II section in the main rule book, it says that the MG-34 and MG-42 has a two man crew, but almost all army lists I can find say 3 man crew.

So my question is 2 or 3 man crew.

Thanks
Gunbird
Gunbird

German MG team Empty Re: German MG team

Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 pm
Always follow the armylist. 3 man crew.
lstarup

Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm
Thanks for you quick answer, I will now continue with my army building.

THANKS
Greebs
Greebs

Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 pm
I'm too lazy to go check, but I think the rulebook states that the M34/42 *requires* a two man crew, as a minimum. The third man just makes them a hair less fragile and represents a more historically sound unit formation.
pzivh43
pzivh43

Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 pm
Greebs for the win---just checked the Kursk book and it says "requires a crew of 2 to fire at full effect."
Gunbird
Gunbird

Fri May 25, 2018 9:28 pm
pzivh43 wrote:Greebs for the win---just checked the Kursk book and it says "requires a crew of 2 to fire at full effect."

Which is irrelevant as that isn't the question...... He is building forces, and while you need at least 2 men to fire at full effect ruleswise, buildwise you model 3 men team as stated in the army list Neutral Whether you do 3 seperate, a 2 man team and a loader or spotter, or 3 men on a base.... is up to the player.
Greebs
Greebs

Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 pm
The question had already been answered to the OPs satisfaction, I was just suggesting what may have been the source of the confusion, as I've always preferred to understand the 'why', rather than just being told what is correct without context... I think Pzivh43 was just agreeing with me with citations I had admitted to being too lazy to go fetch!
Gunbird
Gunbird

Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 pm
Is this independent thought I spy?
Greebs
Greebs

Fri May 25, 2018 11:01 pm
Nah, I was just that kid who would keep asking 'BUT WHY...' to everything my parents said, and never grew out of it...

Also, understanding why something is the case sometimes makes it easier to remember, as even if you forget the answer, you can re-trace the rationale to reach the correct conclusion.
Gunbird
Gunbird

Fri May 25, 2018 11:12 pm
I completely agree Sam.
pzivh43
pzivh43

Sat May 26, 2018 12:25 am
Whew. For a minute there, I was worried I was irrelevant! Very Happy
lstarup

Sat May 26, 2018 7:58 am
Hi guys

Thanks for all your answers, you have all been very helpful, I have now build the force with 3 man MG crews, so now my army is like the army list.
I have build it on single bases, so I can use them with a 2 man crew, if I should change my mind, I'm still having trouble with a MG 34 on a bipod, and a 3 man crew, I have looked at a lot of pictures from WWII, and I can't find any pictures where there is a 3 man crew in that config.

But I happy an it's nice to be able to get help .

THANKS
sediment
https://sedimentswargameblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 am
The third man in the crew is for carrying extra ammunition - MG34/42s get through rather a lot. The extra man is also for immediate close in defence of the team using his rifle, presumably against threats from out of the main arc, according to doctrine. In BG though, he's just an extra man in the team and, as pointed out above, he provides a casualty that can be lost without affecting the main firepower of the team.

IIRC, the team can still fire with just one man, as long as he isn't pinned, but he fires at half firepower.

Cheers, Andy
JayM

Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 am
By German doctrine the MG34/42 had a gunner and loader/ammo bearer, and the MG team was led by the squad leader, while the assistant squad leader led the remaining riflement in the assault team. I suspect some units may have used the same doctrine as the British though, with the assistant leader leading the LMG team. So the three men are the two in the gun team and the leader (regardless of his rank). It doesn't make a difference in game terms other than providing a bullet sponge to make the gun remain fully effective even if a casualty is taken.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum