Go down
CheeseIt

Feedback/Comments/Questions on Danish Lists

on Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 pm
I thought I would chip in with some feedback on the Danish lists, since I'm a Dane myself, and a military historian formerly employed at the Danish Arsenal Museum. In my group, we'd like to help out by playtesting Danish vs. Soviet lists when we get around to it.

For starters, here are some small things I noticed in the list.
The Danish army never used the MG42. They use the MG3 designated M/62 from 1962 on, just like you put in the text. Any MG before that would probably be the SIG 50, Madsen M/48 or the M/37s Swedish BAR.
The A-10 is not in service in the Danish Air Force. It might be supposed to represent US allies, but with the option to roll on the US air support list, I thought I would mention it.
RichardC
https://coldwarhot.blogspot.com.au/

Re: Feedback/Comments/Questions on Danish Lists

on Mon May 07, 2018 4:05 am
Hi CheeseIt

Thanks for having a look at my Danish Army list and I look forward to hearing how you get on when you can get in a game or too.

Very happy to have feedback from a Danish military historian - someone to set me straight finally!

Cheeselt wrote:The Danish army never used the MG42. They use the MG3 designated M/62 from 1962 on, just like you put in the text. Any MG before that would probably be the SIG 50, Madsen M/48 or the M/37s Swedish BAR.

I'll be the first to admit I had to make some calculated guesses regarding some of the equipment a "second-rate" infantry unit might have. I had read that the Danes were still using M1 Garands and other surplus WW2 equipment even into the 1980s - and I also read that the Home Guard had some surplus WW2 German MG-42. So I made a guess that reservists might be similarly equipped. Which MG do you suggest I use - or just stick with the M/62?

Same with the BAR in the Home Guard units. I assumed they were ex-US army war stock. Are you suggesting they should be M/37's?

The A-10 is not in service in the Danish Air Force. It might be supposed to represent US allies, but with the option to roll on the US air support list, I thought I would mention it.

Thanks - definitely not meant to imply A-10's were in the Danish Air Force! Happy to change that - possibly to the F-104G - which I go easily argue (in my head) was not retired due to the possibility of hostilities breaking out.

Let me know what you think

Richard
CheeseIt

Yesterday at 8:07 pm
Hey there.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I have found some information about squad weapons from a reliable source. All of the "correct" equipment will be very dependent on the year selected as the definite "BG: Northag" year.

The standard SAW in the immediate post-war years will be the Bren or the Madsen LMG. In 1951 the Bren is scrapped for a new MG/51, the Neuhausen SIG Model 50. If you don't know it, it's a belt-fed Swiss GPMG: https://www.arma-dania.dk/public/timeline/_ad_automatvaben_view.php?editid1=15
But the army only purchases about 400 of these, so the ubiquitous LMG will still be the Madsen, albeit in a new variant: M/48. The M/51 has a relatively high rate of fire, of 8-900 rounds per minute, so it would probably be close to the performance of the M/62.

In 1962, all Madsen and Neuhausen LMG's are replaced by the M/62, so there should probably not be an option for any other LMG in the regular army. In the Home Guard (HJV is the abbreviation used in Denmark), the Madsen is still in widespread use until well into the 1980's.

Rules-wise, the Bren and Madsen should probably have more or less the same characteristics, whereas the M/51 and the M/62 should be close to each other.

Unfortunately, the Garand had been more or less replaced by the M/75 rifle even in Home Guard use by the 80's. But to make matters complicated, the Life Guards conscripts actually used their ceremonial Garands as their battle rifle until the 90's, so that would probably be a more probable place to see the old Garands.

I'll happily find out which tanks and planes were in use when the year has been determined.

Also, I have a picture of the Life Guards conscripts on their annual big exercise where they are using Garands and pedal bikes! I can also get you loads of reference pics of Danish troops from the era, if you need them.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum