Go down
RichardC
https://coldwarhot.blogspot.com.au/

New Orders Rules and Special Rules

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 pm
Hi everyone

Over the past few weeks I have been looking at the feedback I have been getting from players on their Battlegroup: Cold War games. Everyone seems to be really enjoying their games - which I'm very chuffed with - but there seem to be a couple of points that some questions have been raised about. These points reinforce some of my own concerns that have come up in our games.

1. Soviet Orders
Many people feel like the Soviets have far too many orders - especially when you are playing larger games and take a company of Tanks and/or Motorised Infantry. Each company gives you 4 officers, so before you roll any dice for orders you can automatically have 8+ free orders. If you are then adding 3D6, and using Stal! Stal! Stal! you can get a whole lot done. All the orders mean that Soviet units don't have to really act like Soviet units - which doesn't quite give the right feel to the game.

2. NATO Shooting
Quite a few people - generally NATO players - have commented on how crappy their shooting has been - especially when trying to take out Soviet tanks at long range. In an age of stabilised guns and all sorts of fire control wizardly this does not sit well. Some have called for all NATO units to always be +1 to hit. I've long felt that this is a swing too much in the other direction, especially when you are using top of the line NATO tanks, which often have +1 to observe, +1 to hit and ignore a number of other die modifiers.

Anyway - I've been thinking about this for a long time and think I may have come up with some rules to better reflect both, give the game a bit more flavour and hopefully strengthen the game-balance and feel.

So please have a look at these new orders rules and new special rules and let me know what you think.

New Orders Rules and Special Rules
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sm1yXA2npgM0Nn8N8_MjrDG-hUJqCeSO

Without going and editing all the lists I suggest the following. Soviet Officers only count for orders if they come from the Forward HQ section of the list or are Company Commanders elsewhere in the list.

NATO units with the Proficient Crew special rule are any unit rated Regular or better.

Please have a look, and have a crack at a game using these rules and let me know how it goes. I'll be running a test myself shortly.

Thanks

Richard

alicks

Re: New Orders Rules and Special Rules

on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:16 pm
Hi Richard

How would the Battle Drill work when using a BMP2 Platoon, for example: Would the entire platoon take the Battle Drill disembark action, and then once the infantry have disembarked from the transports, order each infantry section to advance using one Order each as normal? This is because the whole platoon is not using the same action.

Or can a platoons transports use the Disembark order using battle drill, and then the infantry section use battle drill to advance and fire?

Many thanks

Alex
RichardC

on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 am
alicks wrote:Hi Richard

How would the Battle Drill work when using a BMP2 Platoon, for example: Would the entire platoon take the Battle Drill disembark action, and then once the infantry have disembarked from the transports, order each infantry section to advance using one Order each as normal? This is because the whole platoon is not using the same action.

Or can a platoons transports use the Disembark order using battle drill, and then the infantry section use battle drill to advance and fire?

Many thanks

Alex

Hi Alex - below is a quote from the new rules:

If a platoon of infantry has disembarked from their MICVs/APCs both the infantry and their vehicles can separately use Battle Drill, as long as they remain in line-of-sight of the Platoon Commander at all times.

So in your example above the BMPs would use Battle Drill to say move and disembark. The the disembarked infantry could use Battle Drill to advance and fire. All as long as they stay in line of sight of the Platoon Commander.

Hope that helps

Richard
RichardC

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:48 am
Hi everyone

After some playtesting and further reflection I've made the next set of changes to the Battle Drill rules and I've also added some ATGM Ammo rules onto the same page so everything is in the one place.  Here it all is here:

New Orders Rules and Special Rules Version 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O8j9QEobE1iItp9rT51PgOmtQayuvZDb

Basically the most significant change is that using the Battle Drill special rule costs one order now, rather than being free.

I'll change this on the main thread at the top of the page as well

Thanks

Richard

Last edited by RichardC on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:23 am
In the "Fast reloader" description:

"A vehicle that has the Fast Reloader trait does have to spend a turn reloading."

Should that be "does" or "does not"?
RichardC

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 am
Does not.... bugger!

Fixed now.................................................................

Richard
alicks

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:42 pm
Hi Ritchard

How does battle drill affect platoon support units such as AGL teams, GPMG teams and attached mortars?

If the mortar takes a different action to the platoon like shooting while the rest of the platoon needs to close for action does this mean that the entire platoon cannot use battle drill?

Alternative if the support do not use the battle drill and have to use orders for their own units and transports then this is going to severely hamper the soviet forces.

Especially if you are trying to call in mortar support, using two platoons, and maneuvering a tank platoon on an average of 4-5 order dice in a 600pt game (average of 3 or 4 rolled on 1d6 then FHQ +1).

this is not including recon units and engineering units which do not have the battle drill special rule.

i find in the games i have played so far that all it takes is one suppressed platoon leader and the entire army grinds to a halt due to lack of orders.

I suspect this will be made worse if battle drill will take up an order as well, i will play test with my gaming group and see.

many thanks

Alex

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum