Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Colonel White

My Understanding of the Battgroup rationale  Empty My Understanding of the Battgroup rationale

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 am
Its interesting to note that we still see some players commenting about the balance of forces in this wonderful game of which we all share especially in the scenario . Unfortunately battles in real life were very rarely fought with equal sides . They were only fought if one commander or the opposition commander thought they had the upper hand and a chance of winning. After all lives,valuable materials and even reputations were at stake.

For me this was what attracted me to Battlegroup in the first place and have followed it from the beginning . The intention going back to the beginning was never to formulate a set of rules for tournament style play but to make them as realistic as possible . There are other rules better placed for tournament style play without having to name them . Instead we have a set of rules that resemble the realities of WW2 perhaps closer than many other rulesets . Like the real commanders decisions have to be made and sometimes quickly but like in real life the troops under your command didn't always respond the way that you wanted them to do. For example that corps level artillery battery may have already been called on to support by another commander with higher priorities than yours .Sometimes you may think why is my opponents squad more flexible and has better firepower than my own or why do I have less artillery spotters etc etc. Because that is how it was meant to be.
Louis17

My Understanding of the Battgroup rationale  Empty Re: My Understanding of the Battgroup rationale

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm
+1. As a fanatical WW2 history enthusiast, I had been for a long time looking for a game system escaping to the traditional point-based / so-called balanced / tournament oriented scheme. While you can play this game with equal point level, the mechanics seem perfect to play historically-based scenarios. I like this.
dead1

My Understanding of the Battgroup rationale  Empty Re: My Understanding of the Battgroup rationale

Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 am
I agree.

The concept of "balance" is a dubious one in a historical context anyhow. It ends up in weird combinations and outcomes and usually spirals into a race by the games developer to introduce new patches to fix balancing issues as quickly players discover them.

Battlegroup does away with all that. Sure this will mean it will never be a tournament system ala some of the others. But it's a great WWII game. And that's what I want.
pzivh43
pzivh43

Tue May 08, 2018 12:17 pm
Absolutely agree. So much subtle balance between the game mechanics really helps create the feel of a WW2 situation.
Gun-Pit Paul

Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 am
My view is very simple, no scenario is ever balanced. Reasons...
1) Players have different playing styles, and
2) The dice will always screw-up your plans

Paul
Sulphur

Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 am
The very reason my 11 year old boy always wins, love this game though.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum