Battlegroup Wargame Rules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
CAG 19
http://www.cag19.blogspot.co.uk

Ammunition Types Empty Ammunition Types

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:40 pm
I cannot find any reference to specific ammunition types such as HEAT or HESH, are they abstracted into the AP rating or the HE (AP) Factor.  For example the 76mm Scorpion is not listed as carrying AP but has a HE factor of 3 making it marginally better than a .50 Cal M2HB but carried both HESH and Cannister rounds.

Advanced Armour appears to be set up for all weapon types is this correct? Might suggest 2D6 for Major Advanced armour and 1D6 for minor spaced fittings. Alternatively keep the schurzen special rule (Big S little s)

UK L9 165mm DG and the M135 are essentially the same weapon (The M135 being a licenced version of the L9). You have used the same stats already so it is an entry you could consider retiring.

The WG 120mm lacked a reasonable HE round.  You might wish to consider change the HE effect or putting a note in the stats if you think it is worth differentiating
RichardC
RichardC
https://coldwarhot.blogspot.com.au/

Ammunition Types Empty Re: Ammunition Types

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 pm
Hi CAG 19

I cannot find any reference to specific ammunition types such as HEAT or HESH, are they abstracted into the AP rating or the HE (AP) Factor.

Yes is the simple answer - it's all abstracted. As much as it would be cool to have rules for all the different ammunition types, I think is granularity is beyond the scope and feel of BG. I just accept that the crew is firing the best AP or HE type round to suit the circumstances they are in. I guess it's all about finding the abstraction that everyone is happiest with.

Shifting the 76mm HE round of the Scorpion up in strength would then throw everything else out of whack.

Advanced Armour appears to be set up for all weapon types is this correct?
Yes - that's correct. I know armour like Chobham typically works better against HEAT than APDSFS rounds but this was the best compromise. Previously I had two armour values for some tanks - so a Challenger might have read F: 24/20 or something like that. The first number was vs HEAT while the second number was vs kinetic AP rounds. It was considered too cumbersome. I also think adding more varieties of armour might be considered too cumbersome.

UK L9 165mm DG and the M135 are essentially the same weapon (The M135 being a licenced version of the L9).
Thanks - good to know - I will change it to 1 line in version 3

The WG 120mm lacked a reasonable HE round. You might wish to consider change the HE effect or putting a note in the stats if you think it is worth differentiating
Now it has been combined into 1 line (for the Leopard 2 and M1A1) do both the US and West Germans suffer from the poor HE round. If they both do I could lower the HE effect - if not I think I'll have to leave it the same.

Thanks as always

Richard

Smee106

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 pm
During the first gulf war the armoured Engineers borrowed 165mm rounds from the yanks as our stuff was so old.

I agree with CAG that is under powering the 76mm, you could limit its effectiveness with a reduction of its range as it was low velocity and didn’t have a range finder - the gunners had to lob the rounds.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum