Go down
Acctingman

Any tips for painting 15mm?

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 am
Just got the core book and I'm ordering some PSC American and German figures and armor. Love to hear how all you paint your figs. Some what new to the hobby, but I have painted some 1/35 tamiya kits.

Would you recommend airbrushing the primer and base coats?

Thanks
Piers
Admin
http://battlegroupwargame.forumotion.com

Re: Any tips for painting 15mm?

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 am
I tend to use GW black spray undercoat mainly on everything. I find You can then, in 15mm, get some very stark contrast that helps make the smaller 'pop' onnthe tabletop.
Von Blucher

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 am
I have black primed my 15mm figures for more years that I can remember. When using a spray can the trick is light coats and I always prime them on the sprue, and than touch them up with Humbrols Flat Black and a brush after I cut any tabs away, has the advantage of seeing where the tabs are that I need to trim away.
Fitz
http://mojobob.com

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 am
I spray-prime pretty much everything with my airbrush, and my favoured paint for the purpose is the Vallejo polyurethane surface primer. It goes on thin and cures tough, and leaves a good tooth for top-coat paint. I usually use black, but white, grey, and a US Olive Green/Black mix also get quite a bit of use. The "Parched Grass" colour is a good base for anything from dunkelgelb to khaki green #4.
Prwright9

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm
I brush prime with Martha Stewarts Metal Primer. It is white but you can mix any acrylic paint with it to get any colour you desire. I mix mine with black craft paint to get a darkish grey. Dark grey seems to provide enough contrast for the parts you leave unpainted, but is light enough that it doesn't darken the paints too much.

Paul
NTM

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:32 pm
I prefer grey primer too and use vallejo polyurethane primer. Simple block painting of the base colours quick wask pick out a few details then varnish and job down. I used to do base shade and highlight on everything but found it didn't really add enough to justify all the extra effort.
Dixie D

on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 pm
I have used black spray paint for more years than I can remember but that was with Napoleonics.
I have used uniform grey on my most of my 15mm Germans and British and it seems to work better
wolflord

on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 pm
There are several ways painting small 15mm miniatures.

One is blockpainting and blacklining. The black lines give a very strong contrast that is also visible at distance on the tabletop.

Another possibility is to paint a base colour and then add a shading colour (washes are a fast way to do this) and highlights, similiar to painting 28mm miniatures. The main differnce to painting 28mm is that using three colours is often enough and the highlights need to be stronger than with 28mm miniatures.

A quick way to paint a lot of 15mm miniatures is to simply drybrush them. Black basecoat followed by a darker version of the base colour and then a lighter version of the basecoat. Of course all these methoths may be mixed. The Marder below was first painted in a Dunkelgelb base colour, then inked and then drybrushed.

All pictures are from the Flames of War homepage. I would like to add some links, but at the moment this is not possible, as i have to wait 7 days.  Crying or Very sad

Greetings
Wolflord
dead1

on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 am
Definitely black spray and then block painting or dry brushing to make them stand out.

This is one reason I gave up on 15mm and refocused on 20mm though - it's hard getting them to not look blobby on the table especially when based FOW style.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum